Not open for further replies.

halfafish

Damn those rabbits, and their holes!
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Contact seller
Selling this for a friend, he's asking $200 if picked up locally, or $240 delivered anywhere in the lower 48. I have the BH and it's in good shape. I will update this with threads on all the holes after I chase them but they look good visually. The number is a bit hard to read without a flashlight and magnifying glass, but it's 3743643-1.

20231014_140210[1].jpg

20231014_140245[1].jpg

20231014_140418[1].jpg

Just a reminder, this bellhousing is for the 833 Overdrive trans. The register hole is about 5.119" across so if you want to put in a regular 3-speed or 4-speed you'd need to make a reducing ring for it to fit right.

Bump! Also, here's a photo of how the clutch arm pivots inside the bell. It's a slotted tab, not a ball joint.

20231020_152618[1].jpg

Just a reminder, this bellhousing is for the 833 Overdrive trans. The register hole is about 5.119" across so if you want to put in a regular 3-speed or 4-speed you'd need to make a reducing ring for it to fit right.
"Big block" A833 close-ratio main cases with the 308 front bearing have the same bearing-retainer bolt pattern as the A833OD (which also uses a 308 bearing). That means you can swap the large (~5.1") OD retainer onto any 308 case. I have a friend who did exactly that. He's using an A/F-body overdrive bellhousing with a '68 383 transmission in a bench-seat '73 340 B-body. You use the fork for the bellhousing application, not the car.

Just pointing out that there are options other than the overdrive transmission with this bellhousing.

Conversely, of course, putting an overdrive behind a big block is just a matter of swapping to the 4.8" retainer. It's a 5-minute swap.

"Big block" A833 close-ratio main cases with the 308 front bearing have the same bearing-retainer bolt pattern as the A833OD (which also uses a 308 bearing). That means you can swap the large (~5.1") OD retainer onto any 308 case. I have a friend who did exactly that. He's using an A/F-body overdrive bellhousing with a '68 383 transmission in a bench-seat '73 340 B-body. You use the fork for the bellhousing application, not the car.

Just pointing out that there are options other than the overdrive transmission with this bellhousing.

Conversely, of course, putting an overdrive behind a big block is just a matter of swapping to the 4.8" retainer. It's a 5-minute swap.
Can you show the left side of the bell housing where the pivot point is and the "Z bar" arm is attached.

@circlepilot , here is your photo. I have a full setup of OD goodies for both a car and a truck so I should be able to dig up parts and pics as needed.

20231028_185704.jpg

Thanks, let me look at my Z bar connection again and get back to you. Yes, it will need a bushing to reduce the hole, my A833 has the smaller bearing retainer.
Norm
@circlepilot , here is your photo. I have a full setup of OD goodies for both a car and a truck so I should be able to dig up parts and pics as needed.

View attachment 1716159391
I compared your bell housing to what I have, using your pictures. My bell housing is identical except for the fork pivot, yours is a slotted angle attachment and mine is a screw in ball type pivot. I did modify mine for a slotted pivot, but that is not my major issue for what I'm trying to do. I have two 65 Barracudas, the one I'm trying to install the A833 in, originally had a 904 T/F, 225 /6, the other car had a 3 speed on the column, with a 273. I have transferred all of the linkage from the 3S car to the AT car. I adapted the Z bar ball pivot to my bell housing, but the clutch fork arm of the Z bar is far too low to line up with the clutch fork. the guys a Brewer's told me it wouldn't work without extensive modifications. (the slotted pivot was quite an extensive mod as it was.) I'm an experience fabricator and figured I could work it out, but now it's turning out not to be worth the time an effort. These bell housings came out of 78–87-year pickups. Unless someone has done this before and can give me some advice, I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a cast iron 64-65 /6 4 speed housing from Brewers. My other out would be to build the 273 (my original plan) and install it. I have the right 4 speed housing for that, but I've spent a lot of money and time building this "hot-rod 225.
Norm

This came from another member here let's see if it still works. It's a PDF. Looks like 67-80 use the same bracket for the bell crank.

Just to be clear this photo is slant six bell housings but I would suspect that others would have similar bell crank mountings.

Attachments

• slant 6 bell housings.pdf
    88.5 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
I believe the one on the far right is an OD bellhousing and the one just to the left is a 3/4 speed non-OD based upon the year span.

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back