Slant Six Freeze Plug Advice

-

Poboyross

Reaction score
So I found that one of my freeze plugs behind the exhaust manifold had a pinhole leak, so I pulled off all the manifolds, smog equipment, etc and went about pulling the old ones and replacing them with brass new ones. It's been at least 7 years since I had to do one, so I just went based on what I remembered, not even thinking twice. However, after mulling over the "finished job" I looked it up and am concerned that I might have smooched the pooch. I used brass ones (which I recalled were superior to the steel ones), and used some high temp black RTV around the side walls when driving them into the block. I used a socket to drive them in, but unfortunately it looks like I remembered incorrectly and used a socket that fit INSIDE the ID of the walls, and not a 1 5/8 that sat on TOP of the sidewalls. To potentially add insult to injury, I think I might have driven one or more too far into the block. Of the 5, 4 are about 1/8 from the top surface of the block and one (the primary concern) is driven in about 3/16 or a bit more. I didnt see a chamfer on the walls of the hole like I was used to with SBC's (this is my first MOPAR) so I'm not sure. Did I botch it good? Should I redo them or is this process a bit more forgiving?

So I found that one of my freeze plugs behind the exhaust manifold had a pinhole leak, so I pulled off all the manifolds, smog equipment, etc and went about pulling the old ones and replacing them with brass new ones. It's been at least 7 years since I had to do one, so I just went based on what I remembered, not even thinking twice. However, after mulling over the "finished job" I looked it up and am concerned that I might have smooched the pooch. I used brass ones (which I recalled were superior to the steel ones), and used some high temp black RTV around the side walls when driving them into the block. I used a socket to drive them in, but unfortunately it looks like I remembered incorrectly and used a socket that fit INSIDE the ID of the walls, and not a 1 5/8 that sat on TOP of the sidewalls. To potentially add insult to injury, I think I might have driven one or more too far into the block. Of the 5, 4 are about 1/8 from the top surface of the block and one (the primary concern) is driven in about 3/16 or a bit more. I didnt see a chamfer on the walls of the hole like I was used to with SBC's (this is my first MOPAR) so I'm not sure. Did I botch it good? Should I redo them or is this process a bit more forgiving?

Some prefer something like Indian Head shellac for those, but I think you will be fine since you used brass. (wide shoulder)
I always use a driver that fits just inside them with enough room to get it back out once the plug is in and never had a problem, and a little deeper won't hurt anything.
I'd let it go at that and move on.:D

I would not be concerned over driving them on the inside unless you bent or dented them. I cannot remember on /6 how deep the 'walls' of the core plug holes are. If 1/4" deep, then I would not let that 3/16" deep plug stay. I personally have redone one that got in too far; that seems pretty deep.

-
Back