Slant six transplant ‘64 Barracuda

-

briansb71

Reaction score
Greetings All,

Just purchasing a 64 Barracuda project car. Originally was a V8 car with PB automatic, both of which are now gone; as is the driveshaft. For my needs, a newer (early to mid 1970s) 225 slant six and 904 combination would seem to be easy to find, do the job I need it to do, and looks to be cost effective.

A few questions Mopar “nubby” questions (I probably know just enough to be dangerous). What transmission mount and cross member would I need for a newer, slip yoke style 904? Early or Late A body? Something else? Anything more specific? Modes necessary? If so, how difficult? I understand a cable kit is available to “marry” a newer 904 to the push button shifter; not sure if I want to spend the money/open that can of worms … or just track down the plastic 3 speed cover overlay for the dash and jerk the button/cable assembly in favor of an aftermarket floor shifter. Anybody have experience/opinions about the Imperial kit? Not sure what axle is in the car, but I a very sure it’s original (car still has 13” wheels). Assuming a ‘64 Barracuda with a 225/904 would not have had the same ratio as a V8/904 car? Also, will a Duster driveshaft work between the a 904 yoke and the existing axle in the car or am I looking at a rear end swap, or custom driveshaft?

If memory serves, I need an early A body engine oil pan and I can slide the six into the existing V8 K member? I seem to recall there was one other, newer oil pan that would also work with some slight hammer “modifications? If so, what cars had that pan?

Yes, I understand that just tracking down another 273, early 904, and associated parts would be the simplest, cleanest way to go … and that has not been completely ruled out … but let’s please keep the thinking to the six cylinder swap rather than “selling” the original V8 ideas. I am really just looking for some insight on what would be involved in the six swap so I can weigh “plan A” vs. plan B” with a solid parts list.

Thanks!

Easier than slant to V8.
Hunt down the early A slant 6 motor mounts/brackets.
The early A transmission crossmember will work fine with the later 904 trans.
The later oil pan *should* fit fine and have clearance, since you have a drop center V8 centerlink in the car already. The special pan was to provide clearance to the flatter slant 6 centerlink, so you may be okay in that regard.
The throttle linkage on later slants is cable-controlled, and you already have the V8 cable pedal assembly in the car. Will probably need the later, longer slant 6 cable itself. The later kickdown linkage should work in it's entirety.
Use the later (assuming A body) radiator and cooler lines should drop right in with minor tweeking, probably modifying the mounting holes in the radiator brackets or radiator yoke- depending on the year of the rad., may have to trim the brackets down to fit the opening.
You'll have a 7.25 rear end in the '64, nothing else was available until late '65-'66 when the 8.75 was introduced. Use a driveshaft out of a '66 Barracuda/Valiant to connect to your new trans. Use a '66-'67 speedometer cable to hook that up. You'll have to wire in the later trans. backup/NSS to your existing harness.
Then get an aftermarket floor shifter and go cruising.

Last edited:
I should add-
You'll need to do some wiring alterations under the hood, lengthening or shortening certain wires as needed. Get the underhood harness along with the new motor, so you can wire in the electronic ignition (and components) and the electronic voltage regulator for the new engine's alternator. Pretty straightforward stuff.

Easier than slant to V8.
Hunt down the early A slant 6 motor mounts/brackets.
The early A transmission crossmember will work fine with the later 904 trans.
The later oil pan *should* fit fine and have clearance, since you have a drop center V8 centerlink in the car already. The special pan was to provide clearance to the flatter slant 6 centerlink, so you may be okay in that regard.
The issue with the pan is not the center link. It is the front part of the sump. The later pan hits the K member.
@briansb71 If you want to keep the PB shifter, send me a message and I'll give you my phone number

The issue with the pan is not the center link. It is the front part of the sump. The later pan hits the K member.
@briansb71 If you want to keep the PB shifter, send me a message and I'll give you my phone number
Very good- I stand corrected! I was working off of memory, which ain't necessarily what it used to be...

Very good- I stand corrected! I was working off of memory, which ain't necessarily what it used to be...
Not knocking you. In the hobby there are a lot of things to remember. Some you don't use for years. I am more familiar with the slant six, then with V-8's, and there are things I still pick up on, that I didn't realize.
PS: at my age my memory gets fuzzy, also.

Thanks for the great info. I found the following info from another online source. The first photo claims to represent “all” the S6 oil pans; not just A bodies. Maybe others can chime in and call truth of fiction? Obviously, the more options available, the better.

F363C0AE-9587-49F7-BCC3-F739A6A5C11B.jpeg

9A345A8B-77BB-4DBD-A1EB-B8D8BEA07732.jpeg

669DD2C2-13AC-413B-914F-D3795D1E7626.jpeg

A1738E5D-7595-4CAA-9100-30B82A359E1C.jpeg

There's at least one more /6 pan...not shown
No this pan won't fit your car.
The rear sump pan shown is 70s/80s truck, I recently had an engine with a front sump out of a 64 pickup.

And OP I see you're listed as being from Savannah? RRR is by Macon. And member Marcus V is between Macon and Savannah, last I knew he had a 64/65ish valiant convertible..
I think that was a 273 car. Bit that was a few years ago, don't know if he still does.
He posts pretty rarely on here.
Mifht be some good parts/info sources for your car not too far from you....
I vaguely remember the lay of the land as I made that drive down interstate 16 a few years ago from I 75....

There's at least one more /6 pan...not shown
No this pan won't fit your car.
The rear sump pan shown is 70s/80s truck, I recently had an engine with a front sump out of a 64 pickup.

And OP I see you're listed as being from Savannah? RRR is by Macon. And member Marcus V is between Macon and Savannah, last I knew he had a 64/65ish valiant convertible..
I think that was a 273 car. Bit that was a few years ago, don't know if he still does.
He posts pretty rarely on here.
Mifht be some good parts/info sources for your car not too far from you....
I vaguely remember the lay of the land as I made that drive down interstate 16 a few years ago from I 75....
Good to know! There is alot of info on the web; some of it is spot on; some … not so much! I have found it’s better to verify before spending $$$! I can probably track down the correct early A pan and pick up tube … but if there was a newer style I could “luck into” when buying a motor/trans that just happen to work, I wouldn’t have complained! I have read that there are some gotchas about trying to bolt early cranks to newer 904 torque converters, so I was just hoping to find everything as a complete unit to avoid issues.

68 and newer is the break for small and large snout cranks/convertors. Get both >67 and youll be set. If you have a big newer convertor and a small crank, your SOL. other way around is doable with a Tflite Paddy (sp?) 1/8 wall bushing.

Just so you know I have a 1965 A904/core from a 273, with the flanged output. but not a pushbutton. However, I might have Cable-shift case.
The 65 trans is a cable shift trans, but not for push button (for column or floor shift). However the 65 trans can be used with the PB shifter, by either installing a 60-64 Valve body, or Swapping the 1964 manual shift valve and rooster comb into the 65 Valve body. Also need to use the PB shifter and park cables.

PS: My 66 Cuda had a 65 trans with a 64 valve body converted to full manual shift, and a 64 PB shifter in a homemade console between the bucket seats. Got a lot of comments at the cruise-ins.

Last edited:
-
Back