slant w 518, Or??

-

jgrady

Reaction score
Any way to adapt late 727 derivatives w OD (electric actuated ) to slant six? (`90's) They were only behind AMC derived six and V8, right?? .
Also hear complaints about length and bulk of back part of those when going into early bodies. Are JEEP 4 WD versions also so long ? An adapter machined for that one to open driveline might help? Just wondering...

I have a 4.0 L 97 Jeep w 250K on this transmission; it is bulletproof, although changing filters is critical to maintaining line pressure (3X) ; this filter issue is why they often got a bad vibe, it starts 'slipping" due to low pressure, not worn clutches. Typical is sudden slip on 2-3 upshift . Happened 3X, each time I thought trans was gone, it was just filter . Residue from bands etc seems to increase after about 120k, filter needs more changes ~ 60 K miles . ATF 4 helps too, especially at cold temps.

I want to put it in street rod I am assembling, based on 50 stude w slant six , not sure yet slant will go due to interference on pass side A arm mount , but still at it ; may go EFI too. (Simple Digital Systems)

If you can find one, MaMopar used an adapter to mate a smallblock 727 to the slant in pickup trucks and vans back in the '60s. Transdapt may have something you could use also. If all else fails you can always put a Gearvendors OD unit behind a slant tranny for not a lot more than the 518 swap would cost. Hope this helps.

Hey, that is a good idea ; there were lots of vans w slant six in the way back. Probably converter end can be worked out w 518 parts , and van sl 6 flex plate etc

That helps a lot; I forgot about that setup...Thanks grump..

If your wanting to put an OD behind your /6 I would consider the A500 way before the A518. It's much smaller and lighter and consumes alot less power to spin it. If your running a /6 you don't need a killer trans. You need to take advantage of every last hp you have. Not waste it due to a way over engineered trans. The Keisler OD grump mentioned is even smaller yet than an A500 and would fit in easier. It's a Generic Motors trans. if you don't mind that but it's a good candidate for a swap.

-
Back