sleepers....how fast and how plain before it is one?

-
The stripe and engine call outs (among other things) was the factory's way of saying "I am a LOT faster than cars without those things".

The stripe stays. The biggest give-away is definitely the sound. Compression, lopey cam and a free flow exhaust doesn't disguise much. lol Everyone knows what's up as soon as they hear it.
guys with fast cars dont get razzled by a lopey cam anymore. perhaps it peaks interest more so but thats it. most mopars gad some lope to them back then or purple shaft setups thst today nobody will even consider to be any different today.
i mean just look on the boards...the purple cam is still the talk of the abandoned mind set of todays tech being better. it amazes me and most non mopar guys still consider mopars to be just that. purple cammed 440s ant 4000lb bardges running 13s

Tail stripes literally say "I'm not a sleeper".
how the hell does 2 stripes on the back remove the sleeper status of a 45yr old car?
nobody today even cares about a stock rt or anything the likes of that today. yall gotta get out of the 70s. thats been 40+yrs already.

guys with fast cars dont get razzled by a lopey cam anymore. perhaps it peaks interest more so but thats it. most mopars gad some lope to them back then or purple shaft setups thst today nobody will even consider to be any different today.
i mean just look on the boards...the purple cam is still the talk of the abandoned mind set of todays tech being better. it amazes me and most non mopar guys still consider mopars to be just that. purple cammed 440s ant 4000lb bardges running 13s

I agree... the lopey cam doesn't mean what it used to. Technology changed all that.
I know a smooth running Corvette will beat my Dart but I don't like them.
Personally, I'm stuck in the 70's and 80's anyways. I love those purple cammed 440 4000 pound barges running 13's ... and Led Zeppelin too!
Peace!

I agree... the lopey cam doesn't mean what it used to. Technology changed all that.
I know a smooth running Corvette will beat my Dart but I don't like them.
Personally, I'm stuck in the 70's and 80's anyways. I love those purple cammed 440 4000 pound barges running 13's ... and Led Zeppelin too!
Peace!
i love them just as muvh but im a speedaholic and love my twin turbos, newgen hemi engine in my dart. 1500whp+ and 20mpg in my old 67 dart patinafina monster.

how the hell does 2 stripes on the back remove the sleeper status of a 45yr old car?
nobody today even cares about a stock rt or anything the likes of that today. yall gotta get out of the 70s. thats been 40+yrs already.
Well, like I care about the turbo charged twangs, maro's, new scat packs, rice rockets and rice grinders. lol F'n junk !
I got news for you, they ain't making no 1000- 1500 hp the times and mph ain't there

Now for something completely different!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks @dartnabout for the story.
It’s a cool summer evening as the young man comes to a stop at the red light. He is thinking that it is the last light for quite a distance and what better time than now to test his latest adjustments on his tuner car. The exhaust is ringing with that new Turbo tail pipe that he just installed and the throttle response is immediate. As he quickly scans the gauges to see if everything is in order for a solid run he hears a rumble that at first sounds as though his exhaust is coming apart or leaking. He now notices an older gentleman pulling up in the lane next to him. Ah…thank goodness he thinks, it is his car that is doing the rumbling. The old fellow must be hard of hearing and does not realize his exhaust is making such a noise or perhaps he does not have the money to have his exhaust fixed. The young guy looks over and realizes that it is an old man, and he is driving an “old” car (complete with roof rack) as well. He remembers his father telling him of such a car and fun vacations so many years ago. With a great deal of pride the youngster decides to rev his engine to let the old guy know just what is sitting beside him and the performance the “old coot” is about to witness when the light turns green. As he revs his engine he notices that the older guy never looks over but stares straight ahead. But something else catches the young man’s attention… it is a scoop that begins to rise up out of the hood of the old four door relic complete with roof rack. With very little concern he is wondering what is happening to the old man’s car he begins to press the accelerator of his “tuner car” anxiously waiting for the green light and his chance to show his car off to all who may be watching. But the rumble from the old white car gets louder and stronger as well and the young man begins to wonder if this old gentleman is challenging his finely tuned automobile. It was then that the light turned green and the young man’s foot jumped off of the brakes as his other foot slams the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and his tires begin to smoke as they spin as they try to grip the asphalt for the launch. To the young man’s amazement he notices that his wheels are spinning and grabbing aggressively but the old white car is now moving forward and his is at a standstill…how could this be his speedometer shows 35 in a heartbeat and his engine is singing at the red line on his tach, but it is as though he is not moving because the amazing old four door car, roof rack and all, driven by the older gentleman is steadily pulling away. As he quickly shifts into second gear thinking that this might be his problem he notices even more smoke forming around the rear of the older classic car. Tire smoke that is obviously not his is drifting into his lane. The rumble that he had heard at the red light has now turned in to a thunderous roar of power that is seemingly making the ground around him vibrate. He remembers his father telling him of such cars and in his father’s day they called them sleepers… could this be what he was encountering? As his speed grew even faster he noticed that the beautiful old Dart driven by the charming older gentleman had just left him and his whirring, tinny sounding car behind in smoke. And as the old car pulls away ….etched in the young man’s mind is the question….what is a Popmobile 440?
Popmobile 5.jpg
i36908.jpg

Now for something completely different!:rofl::rofl::rofl:
Thanks @dartnabout for the story.
It’s a cool summer evening as the young man comes to a stop at the red light. He is thinking that it is the last light for quite a distance and what better time than now to test his latest adjustments on his tuner car. The exhaust is ringing with that new Turbo tail pipe that he just installed and the throttle response is immediate. As he quickly scans the gauges to see if everything is in order for a solid run he hears a rumble that at first sounds as though his exhaust is coming apart or leaking. He now notices an older gentleman pulling up in the lane next to him. Ah…thank goodness he thinks, it is his car that is doing the rumbling. The old fellow must be hard of hearing and does not realize his exhaust is making such a noise or perhaps he does not have the money to have his exhaust fixed. The young guy looks over and realizes that it is an old man, and he is driving an “old” car (complete with roof rack) as well. He remembers his father telling him of such a car and fun vacations so many years ago. With a great deal of pride the youngster decides to rev his engine to let the old guy know just what is sitting beside him and the performance the “old coot” is about to witness when the light turns green. As he revs his engine he notices that the older guy never looks over but stares straight ahead. But something else catches the young man’s attention… it is a scoop that begins to rise up out of the hood of the old four door relic complete with roof rack. With very little concern he is wondering what is happening to the old man’s car he begins to press the accelerator of his “tuner car” anxiously waiting for the green light and his chance to show his car off to all who may be watching. But the rumble from the old white car gets louder and stronger as well and the young man begins to wonder if this old gentleman is challenging his finely tuned automobile. It was then that the light turned green and the young man’s foot jumped off of the brakes as his other foot slams the accelerator pedal all the way to the floor and his tires begin to smoke as they spin as they try to grip the asphalt for the launch. To the young man’s amazement he notices that his wheels are spinning and grabbing aggressively but the old white car is now moving forward and his is at a standstill…how could this be his speedometer shows 35 in a heartbeat and his engine is singing at the red line on his tach, but it is as though he is not moving because the amazing old four door car, roof rack and all, driven by the older gentleman is steadily pulling away. As he quickly shifts into second gear thinking that this might be his problem he notices even more smoke forming around the rear of the older classic car. Tire smoke that is obviously not his is drifting into his lane. The rumble that he had heard at the red light has now turned in to a thunderous roar of power that is seemingly making the ground around him vibrate. He remembers his father telling him of such cars and in his father’s day they called them sleepers… could this be what he was encountering? As his speed grew even faster he noticed that the beautiful old Dart driven by the charming older gentleman had just left him and his whirring, tinny sounding car behind in smoke. And as the old car pulls away ….etched in the young man’s mind is the question….what is a Popmobile 440?
View attachment 1715223910 View attachment 1715223911
I love it, but i would ditch the fender skirts

the main issue I have with that reply is that a fresh 67 440 R/T or GTX can hang with a modern mercedes or bmw.

if you know what you're doing you can even out corner them with the factory torsion bars.

a 383 or 440 A body can kill them

what those cars I mentioned don't have is reclining leather seats, maybe not AC, and certainly not 28 MPG.

Sure, if you're going to compare a modern Charger/Challenger 300 HP v6 or 5.7 with a base 68-70 383 car.............

the main issue I have with that reply is that a fresh 67 440 R/T or GTX can hang with a modern mercedes or bmw.

if you know what you're doing you can even out corner them with the factory torsion bars.

a 383 or 440 A body can kill them

what those cars I mentioned don't have is reclining leather seats, maybe not AC, and certainly not 28 MPG.

Sure, if you're going to compare a modern Charger/Challenger 300 HP v6 or 5.7 with a base 68-70 383 car.............
i am confused now. are you saying a modern v6 car can run with a 440 rt now? this isnt looking to well here.lol
im also not talking about slushy cars with 300hp. i am talking about cars that are modern and modified vs old school that are dressed in stripes are not comparable.
you cant suggest anyone is even remotely intimidated by stripes vs no stripes. i am 43 and born into drag racing all my life. all brands and years chassis to street cars. stripes mean nothing if not less than nothing. it is like saying the chrome makes it faster.
ill run anything on here and not scared or even slightly in belief im gonna have a challenge. yet the stripes on that car is the option given to be a faster car than....a post car looking rough with wheels? blows my mind that stripes are the end all reason a car is fast today. im gonna put some damn rainbows on my stuff now. that'll scare everyone away for certain.

Now he tells us :BangHead: Put steelies on it and paint the roll bar the same color as the interior. It will blend in that way.
i wasnt hiding it was i? bars are black as inside is. windows are not even in the car but will be tinted and impossible to see then.
i dont think wheels break the deal in this day n age. 70s-80s sure but not today. and like i said no 5in tach or guages galore everywhere.
im debating on shooting some white plastidip over the body. it should hide among the crowd of other loud and proud racers....even with 1500+hp

at the ripe old age of 43, you missed out on what it took to build a competitive street car. too bad, you would have a better appreciation for what old school had to do with modern tech.

I was running a 70 el Camino back around 1980. For the time, I was ok fast. One Saturday night while cruising main street, my friend and I got next to an orange B 100 street van. You know the type, visor, flares, the old hooker side pipes and Cragar SS wheels. We did the nod, the light turned green and we both took off. The van was right with me off the line, but started to pull me as he SHIFTED into second, then he walked away after shifting again.

I caught up to the guy later in the Big Bear parking lot and he told me he had wrecked his roadrunner and put the entire driveline in his van.

That's a sleeper.

what I was saying is that a 500HP 440 with street manners is not terribly difficult or expensive to build and can be put in a relatively light classic body.

If you want more than 500 HP in a modern car you're gonna spend 60K and up.

However, you can certainly buy a 300 HP v6 in the right vehicle and trounce a lot of stock 60's and 70's cars.

at the ripe old age of 43, you missed out on what it took to build a competitive street car. too bad, you would have a better appreciation for what old school had to do with modern tech.
****...you guys had it easy compared to today. you wanna talk efi tuning, traction control, wheel speed monitorying and power management of today? your mods are cheap in comparison and mechanically simple. today you gotta take classes and courses to figure out how to use the stuff you bought. just in hopes you can get it running somewhat correctly. there isnt no air bleedz or jets, turn the dizzy a degree or 2 and be done with it story.
todays hotrods are far more difficult than yesturyear.
then add 4x the power and smaller tires into the mix.....good luck with that.

and before you think i dont know old school. sold it this spring after rebuilding the engine.

20170222_153148.jpg

****...you guys had it easy compared to today. you wanna talk efi tuning, traction control, wheel speed monitorying and power management of today? your mods are cheap in comparison and mechanically simple. today you gotta take classes and courses to figure out how to use the stuff you bought. just in hopes you can get it running somewhat correctly. there isnt no air bleedz or jets, turn the dizzy a degree or 2 and be done with it story.
todays hotrods are far more difficult than yesturyear.
then add 4x the power and smaller tires into the mix.....good luck with that.

and before you think i dont know old school. sold it this spring after rebuilding the engine.

View attachment 1715224556
I'm gonna disagree with you on this. Back in the day we didn't have data-loggers, or sensor input/output readings. We didn't have info from the wheel speed sensors to tell us if our tires were spinning or if it was slipping in the clutch. Heck, we didn't even have A/F ratio readings from our wideband O2 sensors to tell us if we were lean or fat on the jets or air bleeds.
Back in "the day" we couldn't send our spark plugs to a tuner in the midwest with a SASE and have him send us back a tune we could plug into our carb.

I'm gonna disagree with you on this. Back in the day we didn't have data-loggers, or sensor input/output readings. We didn't have info from the wheel speed sensors to tell us if our tires were spinning or if it was slipping in the clutch. Heck, we didn't even have A/F ratio readings from our wideband O2 sensors to tell us if we were lean or fat on the jets or air bleeds.
Back in "the day" we couldn't send our spark plugs to a tuner in the midwest with a SASE and have him send us back a tune we could plug into our carb.

and my first turbo build i didnt have any of that either. still read the plugs as well. boost controller was a spring valve and a knob on it.
but i get what your sayin about the availability of help today is far superior. the fact people trust in paid help goes a ling ways. back in the day everybody was sneeky or untrustworthy to allow them to touch your stuff.

<~~~~ Tuned the KT100 on the go kart with the cylinder head temp gauge. :eek: 370* better fatten it up a little, that's too lean! :rofl:You learn to drive with one hand on the wheel ant the other on the adjustable main jet :rofl:

So if there is something that will catch my eye and not from a distant visual is a car that is extremely fast with Cast Iron heads these days..... Each brand had their own flavor but if you look around at the tracks everything just about has aluminum heads.... It's just something I pay attention to more after having my hands on a set of GM BBC Rectangular port heads (cast iron) that were CNC'd by Sonny's. Can't remember all the numbers but something in the low 360's on the intake side. That's a serious head and with the right combination and would easily be a single digit pass in a street car. That's just a components of what I call sleeper.....

The patina look makes no difference really.... If someone hears whoosh (lol) in an older car more than likely something is going to happen and run pretty good...

JW

-
Back