Slipyoke splines...

-

Moparbaker

Reaction score
I just replaced both u-joints & now I see that the slip yoke have a "gap" in the splines where one spline is missing/left out so I look at the transmission shaft but there's nothing to fit that gap...The gearbox is an A500 from a Dodge van & the shaft is from a Volare that used to be connected to a normal 904.
So I reckon it don't matter much where the gap ends up, right..?

U got it. The splines on an overdrive are cut at a little different angle. Did u check to see if it actually fits? Some seem to others don’t. Kim

Fit it does, has been this combo since 8 years now. Okidoki, in it goes again now... Ah them burnouts!

The missing tooth is to let air escape so it doesn't air lock on the shaft. Or if trans fluid get up there.

Used to be a tiny weephole in the expansion plug at the end of the splines. When you saw oil there, you knew the splines had been oiled. Without the weephole or missing spline, sliding the yoke into the trans was a tricky thing. As was pulling it back out to saddle the back U-joint.

Ah, THAT sure makes sense thinking about it it's ovious.
Just took a testride, it's half past ten here now, sweet ride when it's getting dark - just enough to have the headlights on...

-
Back