sloppy steering

-

dropshot1

Reaction score
just realized what might be problem,1970 swinger ,I noticed it having someone else move steering while I looked for slop, the whole steering gear moves , think the nuts are loose , got under car ,of course all my sockets are 8 points , weird lokking bolts , anybody else seen these? know what kind of socket I need?

More than likely yours has the 12 point bolts.I think it takes a 12 pt. 9/16 socket if memory serves my right.

just realized what might be problem,1970 swinger ,I noticed it having someone else move steering while I looked for slop, the whole steering gear moves , think the nuts are loose , got under car ,of course all my sockets are 8 points , weird lokking bolts , anybody else seen these? know what kind of socket I need?

And I doubt you have 8 point sockets. They are specialty sockets for getting 4 point plugs loose.

LOL on the replies, 8 point sockets must be a Canadian thing?

I think he's saying that the steering box is moving on the K member? I seem to remember something funny about those nuts too, but I got them tight using a standard set of 1/2" drive sockets.

I have 8 point sockets for square head set screws and such. Plant maint' in a textile mill, all sorts of tools needed. That aint what you need though. You need 12 point. Here's the rest of the story... There was a problem with those bolts working loose. So while Chrysler Corp' was providing majority of funding to develop a chemical thread locking product ( DuPont won with what became known as Locktite ) They bought into a bolt produced with special material, thread profile, and tolerance. It's head difference identifies it to be different. Those didn't help much as you can see they still worked loose. After the thread locking chemical saved the day, they went back to the more common less expensive hex head bolts. If the nuts welded in the K member aren't damaged, add Locktite, torque and you should be golden. Me, I might put a little effort in finding the common hex head bolts to replace the 3 specials. Regardless I would put a lot of effort into cleaning the mating surfaces and threads. The cast steering gearbox has a milled "land" but they never went back and checked flatness of the K member "land" after welding the nuts. I personally believe that is/was the root of the problem. Anyway... grit, paint, rolled up burrs created by long term looseness, wont help.

-
Back