slow cooker recipes

-
I actually found the missus "old" crock pot, its maybe a 3 quart unit?
I'm making something called "satay" in it
(though the word satay is Indonesian for "skewered" so it is not exactly accurate)

It is basically a few cubed chicken breasts in a peanut butter sauce

I cheated on the seasoning with this one, my mom send me a few envelops of satay marinade a while ago, so I just mixed one of them into the sauce

it will be served over some white rice her mom brung over yesterday

should be good

I bout forget this: need a pretty good size crock. get a pork SHOULDER ham, NOT a butt! put a can of ANY pop, yes even mountain dew.... in bottom, on top of ham place some brown sugar and small can of chipotle peppers. on low all day. the peppers will give it a little "zip" but not hot. use 1/2 can if nervous.
great flavor. I forget where I got this receipe, maybe FABO !!????

let over ham??? ham and bean soup ( crock), fry up some onion and taters with some of the ham...... ham and eggs... all got stuff Maynard! yum!

Swiss steak.

A cube steak (or two if you're a big eater) per person. Can of diced tomatoes, a green pepper cut into strips, an onion cut into strips, and a clove of garlic. A dash of paprika and salt in pepper. Dredge your steak in flour and give a quick fry in oil. Through everything in the crock pot.

Make up mashed as a side and serve the "gravy" over the mashed.

Swiss Steak, that must be a popular dish from your locale because my Grandmother from Andover NY, very thrifty lady who wasn't a very good cook, made this exact dish if we went to their place for Sunday dinner, which was the mid-day meal, thanks for the memory.

I bout forget this: need a pretty good size crock. get a pork SHOULDER ham, NOT a butt! put a can of ANY pop, yes even mountain dew.... in bottom, on top of ham place some brown sugar and small can of chipotle peppers. on low all day. the peppers will give it a little "zip" but not hot. use 1/2 can if nervous.
great flavor. I forget where I got this receipe, maybe FABO !!????

This is how I do my BBQ pork butt (a shoulder is called a butt on a pig) because I'm lazy. I do the rub and smoking on the smoker for 2-3 hours (smoke won't penetrate after this time anyway) and then put it in a crock pot with a can of cola (any kind will do) for 10-12 til it shreds. I have NEVER had anyone complain and the crock pot is always empty.

My wife made a molten chocolate lava cake in the crock pot last weekend for her and the hens. There was barely a serving left when I came home!

Throw in a mix of meat and vegetables and let them cook...

Be creative...

Italian Beef

Roast either Beef / Venison - if you have that available. Shoulder / rump doesn't matter - rump will take a little longer cooking to break it down to shred it up for sandwiches. I have done full deer shoulders before in the crockpot and it works great - need a big 20+ quart roaster more than a crockpot though.

Couple cans of beer, maybe some your buddy left at your house that you don't drink....

1 Jar of pepperoncini peppers - whole, just open it and pour it in juice and all

beef broth to cover the roast if needed and one Italian seasoning packet. I have also added just a bit of lawrys seasoning salt to the roast before placing in the crockpot, but not necessary.

cook for 8-10 hours until the roast will shred with a fork.

I usually remove the roast once it gets to the shredding point and fish out the peppers with a slotted spoon and discard them. Reason being I don't like slimy peppers - prefer fresh crunchy ones on my sandwich. Can leave them in if you like, just a texture thing.

Shred roast and return to juice in crock pot - get some hoagie buns and fresh jar of peppers and chow down.

Carl, I don't see how that would work with a meatloaf?
do you some how suspend it about it?

at any rate, the satay came out GREAT
(id give you the recipe, but because of the enveloped marinade mix, it would be hard to obtain anyway)

I served it over a bed of white rice, but when I reheat the left overs for lunch tomorrow I think ill just mix the rice in with the satay and reheat the whole batch in the crock pot like that
(this is the little pot)

I will also try my first "roast" tomorrow

The center post unscrews on it so you have a flat surface. I had an issue at first with it over cooking since I tend to work 9-10 hours so I now I will make it a day or two in advance and freeze it. Cooked on low it turns out well now

I actually found the missus "old" crock pot, its maybe a 3 quart unit?
I'm making something called "satay" in it
(though the word satay is Indonesian for "skewered" so it is not exactly accurate)

It is basically a few cubed chicken breasts in a peanut butter sauce

I cheated on the seasoning with this one, my mom send me a few envelops of satay marinade a while ago, so I just mixed one of them into the sauce

it will be served over some white rice her mom brung over yesterday

should be good

They have satay chicken at some Thai food restaurants. It comes with a peanut sauce. Very good... :D

They had some great Thai food places around Detroit. Thai House, one south of 10 mile on Gratiot, another at 9 Mile just west of Livernois across from the Ferndale Ace Hardware, and the last one to close was the one at 13 1/2 and Woodward. They had the best Thai food, it's a shame that they all closed. Their cashew chicken was awesome!

Swiss Steak, that must be a popular dish from your locale because my Grandmother from Andover NY, very thrifty lady who wasn't a very good cook, made this exact dish if we went to their place for Sunday dinner, which was the mid-day meal, thanks for the memory.

Don't know how "popular" it is. Karli's family has been NY'er's for generations. I'm the first who's made it for her.

Something my mom used to make and I loved it, so I'd thought I'd revive it for my family.

Italian Beef

Roast either Beef / Venison - if you have that available. Shoulder / rump doesn't matter - rump will take a little longer cooking to break it down to shred it up for sandwiches. I have done full deer shoulders before in the crockpot and it works great - need a big 20+ quart roaster more than a crockpot though.

Couple cans of beer, maybe some your buddy left at your house that you don't drink....

1 Jar of pepperoncini peppers - whole, just open it and pour it in juice and all

beef broth to cover the roast if needed and one Italian seasoning packet. I have also added just a bit of lawrys seasoning salt to the roast before placing in the crockpot, but not necessary.

cook for 8-10 hours until the roast will shred with a fork.

I usually remove the roast once it gets to the shredding point and fish out the peppers with a slotted spoon and discard them. Reason being I don't like slimy peppers - prefer fresh crunchy ones on my sandwich. Can leave them in if you like, just a texture thing.

Shred roast and return to juice in crock pot - get some hoagie buns and fresh jar of peppers and chow down.

Mmmmmm Italian beef. We haven't had those in a while.

Mmmmmm Italian beef. We haven't had those in a while.

We have lots of food stands here with Italian Beef sandwiches.

A Chicago staple dating back to the old stock yard days...

-
Back