SM Head Install... forgetting anything?

-
@74Scooter I got a shorter belt and tried to swing it under the heads. When looking at swinging it out with a linger belt I was worried it would still hit. I drilled out some of the bracket where it adjusts. Thought I made enough room, but when tightening it it went back up and into the head... longer belt it is for this next one... I'll have one at 5pm tonight... here is a pictuee of the room when swinging it all the way out with a longer belt... see what happens when I think or dont take advice from people smaryer than me? My old ps pump is nasty as crap anyway so I guess it was time for a new one.

20220313_143048.jpg

^^ Live and learn... it's how we all do it... lol.

If the longer belt does not get enough clearance I'd consider filing a bit off the corner of the head.

To delete the power steering is no small task. You need a manual steering column or the adapter to lengthen your column. You need a manual box. If you just remove the belt. The play in the box increases so it will be tough to steer straight. Not fun, I have done it. It will take 40 lbs off the nose of the car.

Use the fel pro .053 head gasket
Pistons were .015 above deck
Heads are close chambers

All done. Drives like a dream. Definitely has more power and more power on the low end. Now it makes the gears and torque converter even more noticeable of needing changed... I grinded the corner of the head a bit to make room for the ps pump.

20220319_142002.jpg

20220319_142012.jpg

Everyone rounds a bolt head here and there. Bashed and gouged a hand. Just have to have a quality properly sized tool and be extra prudent in keeping it perpendicular, supported and pressed into the work as you use it, tightening or loosening.
This one was fun, it was a factory replacement engine in a 73 Charger.
AJzaw3.jpg

He's using the stock stamped rockers. Sounded like the lifter tap I had on my 360..

360LA Lifter Tap
And that case take a .010 feeler gauge and slip it under each one until you find the one that's noisy and it gets quiet... old school method... with a rag in palm of hand, with valve cover off and cardboard shield...push on each rocker 'pushrod side' till you find the noisey one and it quiets.

Does sound an aweful lot like what @74Scooter had. What do you do for a lifter tap? Just tighten them? @MOPAROFFICIAL I have a feeler guage, whats the cardboard for, am I supposed to test them with the engine running?

Does sound an aweful lot like what @74Scooter had. What do you do for a lifter tap? Just tighten them? @MOPAROFFICIAL I have a feeler guage, whats the cardboard for, am I supposed to test them with the engine running?

If it is the lifter and the knocking does not go away the only cure is to replace it. If you can figure out which one it is that's great, you can just replace that lifter. I could not identify which lifter was making the racket and swapped them all out for new Comps. The rockers and pushrods need to come out. I was able to swap all mine out without removing the intake using a magnet on a stick. Took about an hour per side... not too bad at all.

@74Scooter what makes a lifter tap? Like what is it hitting on? The lifters are brand new, only maybe 1k miles on them, they were new when I put the camshaft in the car.

I mentioned this before about the rocker shaft and I realize you said they went back on the proper "side",, BUT they can be swapped end for end and still be on the proper side. Swapping them end for end MAY put the lube holes on wrong spot. FYI, not all shafts have a notch, some have a 1/2 moon shape and is oriented slightly different.
@mopowers I think the rocker arm shaft saddles are good. I wouldn't really know any difference, but mine seem to fit pretty nicely.

View attachment 1715883230

Double chk that rocker shaft. Most have a notch in one end. If it does, it should be pointed down and to front on drivers side. Down and to rear on pass side.

@4spdragtop I will check the rockers, I have teinstalled them on the same side they came off of every time I have taken them off.

20220319_170417.jpg

@74Scooter what makes a lifter tap? Like what is it hitting on? The lifters are brand new, only maybe 1k miles on them, they were new when I put the camshaft in the car.

Something goes south in the internals and they do not pump up correctly causing slop in the valvetrain. If the car has been sitting for a bit it's not uncommon for one or more to bleed down... but they usually pump up pretty quickly after restart.

I just pulled the valve covers, lots of oil in there, maybe not enough zinc additive in the oil. Tore a valve cover gasket when doing so... luckily I saved the cork gaskets. The notch on the shaft is on the back bottom of the drivers side, and the notch is on the bottom front of the drivers side. Swapping the rocker arms and shafts to the other side would keep the orientation the exact same, wouldn't it? Wouldn't I have to disassemble them to get the shafts direction to be different? Looking back at old photos from when I had the top end apart last time the orientation looks the exact same. I tightened them a smidge but the tick is still there. Im going to go through and tighten the headers again and the bolts where the headers meet the exhaust.

20220320_165309.jpg

20220320_165811.jpg

20220320_171531.jpg

20220320_165142.jpg

Yep, take em off and put the shaft the other way. The notch goes down and to the left as you're looking down on them over the fenders.

-
Back