Small Block flywheel and clutch

-

Projectile Dart

Reaction score
I have a '68 Dart with a LA360 and 727 trans. I am in the process of converting to an A-833 4 speed. I want some advice on which parts to buy for what goes inside the bellhousing. I have what I believe to be a lakewood scatter shield so to my knowledge, I can pick basically any flywheel/clutch combo and it should all fit. My engine is internally bone stock and its going to stay that way for the time being but I would like some advice on which external balance flywheel to buy, and which clutch/pressure plate kit to buy. And more importantly, which brands I should absolutely avoid.
This is going to be a nothing special car, normal city cruising/ spirited driving. If possible, I would like the clutch to grab well, but not be so stiff that I can't teach my wife to drive stick in the car.
Please give me all of your pros/cons as I look into all of this.
Thanks in advance.

"Any" covers a lot of ground. You can't use a pickup (larger flywheel, larger ring gear) flywheel, for example. Doesn't the Lakewood destructions have some insight? You for sure want a WEIGHTED flywheel for your 360 and NOT for a 5.9 Magnum, to end up being properly balanced assembly Someone will have to chime in with the starter ring gear tooth count, I want to say you want 130 something as opposed to 140 something, but I do not remember.

SB 340 360 traditionally used 10 1/2" clutch

You need a lot of things. It would take half the night. Wonder if Dan Brewer has a list.

You need a lot of things. It would take half the night. Wonder if Dan Brewer has a list.
I have a pile of parts already for the swap but I was more hoping for shared experiences on brands for specifically the flywheel + pressure plate + clutch plate and certain design differences.
I didn't get much here which is fine but the plan was always to contact Brewers anyway for other small things. I just like calling shops like that with a little bit of background knowledge first and this site is usually full of shared knowledge...

I've used LUK brand clutch kits in the past in toyota pickups and we have absolutely loved them as stock replacements on those 4 cylinders but I am not sure if LUK offers something for a mopar 360 or if it does, if it even works good or not compared to other brands such as McLeod or RAM...

I've had great service out of LuK clutches over the years, most recent Dakotas and 4.0 inline jeeps.
I bought one a while back to go behind a /6, and was mighty pissed at it when I saw " made in China" on the box..... I haven't gotten it in yet.
Ones to strictly avoid would be the " perfection" brand.

From past experience, I've dealt with Brewers Performance with all my A833 needs. Dan Brewer in particular answers all my emails with great information, they have great knowledge and good products. I live in Melbourne Australia and have a 67 Formula S 273 Commando 4-speed car, the people at Brewers cut through the confusion and provide me with what I need.

I bought all my stuff from Brewers. I went with McLeod for the flywheel and clutch, and I have no complaints. I did convert to a hydraulic throwout bearing, so the pedal effort is very light. There is no clutch chatter, or anything like that, and when I dump the clutch, it grabs and goes.

Small block Lakewood bellhousing will use 130 tooth 10.5" flywheel. AFAIK...we are the only ones who have new cast 360 LA flywheels. We also have billet steel in McLeod with the bolt on weight kits for 360 LA. The one benefit of doing it this way, in the future if you change to a neutral balance engine you just remove the weight. We stock Ram, McLeod & Centerforce in diaphragm. If you want an oem style B&B, it will be Ram only.

RAM-1.jpg

11-21-2022.jpg

20200611_101142.jpg

-
Back