Small block mini starter

-
Just be aware that the Chinese knockoffs are junk. I bought a mini from a supplier in Oregon that catered to Mopars. It was advertised as US made, but when I got it, it was packed in the usual cheap, Chinese, yellow cardboard. When I foolishly installed it, it turned over one time and the nose shattered, dumping broken parts inside the bell housing and wedging between the block and converter. It took hours to free it and I was worried the converter might be damaged.

The supplier offered to replace it, but why bother installing more junk? He also swore he thought it was US built. Right! I used it for a core on a reman Denso. Still not what I wanted, but the $200+ price quoted by Mopar was a bit too steep at the time.

here are a couple updated pictures 8)

Attachments

• 1996ministarter 003.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 882
  • 1996ministarter 004.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 804
U dont need that unless your running tight headers.
hmm stock starter is a pig (16 lbs heavy) and a pain to get at even with exhaust manifolds. I changed my 65 to a mini (6 lbs) when the stock unit went out..........change it. they are cheap and plentiful.

Do it! Well worth the swap. Saves you weight,smaller size is easier clearance for headers etc. More starting torque as well!

I did this swap too a few months back. Easily the best investment i've made. Found one in wrecker that didnt look too crusty on a 99, bolted right in place and now i never worry about my battery draining when my cold-blooded car doesnt wanna start in the morning.

Attachments

• DSCN0393.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 836
The starter from a '99 Ram is much smaller than one from a '95 Dakota which is much smaller than one from a mid-80's Diplomat, if that helps ya.

Great Thread,

I'm getting ready to replace the starter on my 360....

Is this indeed the case, A starter from a '99 is smaller from a '95? How new can you go, I was going to get one from summit.

Great Thread,

I'm getting ready to replace the starter on my 360....

Is this indeed the case, A starter from a '99 is smaller from a '95? How new can you go, I was going to get one from summit.

NO there all mini starters on 3.9/5.2/5.9 vehicles from 1988-2000+ there the same lenth and same weight

I also may have another Mini start I would be interested in selling if anyone is interested

Great timing on this thread. Are there different starters compared to flywheel teeth? I just tried to bump over my car for the first time with the new 727, new torque converter and new starter and I get a sound that sounds like stripped teeth. I only did it once so not to damage anything. I do have to say that the battery was mostly dead and I tried this with the charger on it (so I don't know if it doesn't have enough juice to engage the flywheel- is that possible?)

Update: please don't answer this on this thread, I'm going to create a new one. http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=173978

That sounds like you dont have your torque converter all the way back. Make sure you get it to click back on and rotate.

NO there all mini starters on 3.9/5.2/5.9 vehicles from 1988-2000+ there the same lenth and same weight

nope. not true. not all!

heres 2 different mini starters from 2 different dodge vehicles...

the smaller one on the bottom, is from a '97 dodge dakota 5.2

the one up top is from a dodge van. dont remember what year...

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

Well i have one coming and im looking forward to it. The stock one i have isnt any good.It will be nice to actually manouver it with out busting a knuckle putting it in. Dam the stock ones are heavy........Thanks 66 for helping me out.........I owe you one:prayer:

nope. not true. not all!

heres 2 different mini starters from 2 different dodge vehicles...

the smaller one on the bottom, is from a '97 dodge dakota 5.2

the one up top is from a dodge van. dont remember what year...

IMG_2312.jpg

IMG_2310.jpg

Can you put a tape next to one of those? They look identical in scale just different size. I will probably take a tape measurer with me to the junkyard to make sure Im getting the smaller one.

Also, it might be good to note that the magnum starter's from jeeps are different. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the starter is on the opposite side of the bellhousing.

Also, it might be good to note that the magnum starter's from jeeps are different. I'm not sure if it makes a difference, but the starter is on the opposite side of the bellhousing.

think they are still compatable with our cars though

Wow where did you find that thing? ......on the bottom of the ocean lying next to the titanic? LOL!

yupp the dirt is free and its an artifact after all :iconbigg: but in all seriousness it was on a 4WD plow truck so abit of mud is all that was on it, check out the pictures of it after I spent a few minutes cleaning it up

One thing that wasn't mentioned is with a mini starter and if you are running TTI headers the solenoid lays right on top of one of the header tubes, and than the starter doesn't fair to well. I took mine on one long road trip and when I went to leave the starter did nothing but click. I changed the starter out and put in a new mini starter and when I got home I put the original one back in. the design of the stock starter the solenoid is rolled over away from the side of the block and that header tube. If they made a mini starter to where the solenoid is rolled up on top or even away from the block it would work great with TTI small block headers. Just my two cents.
Pat Faley
67 NB S Clone 408 stroker
69 vert project
East Peoria IL

One thing that wasn't mentioned is with a mini starter and if you are running TTI headers the solenoid lays right on top of one of the header tubes, and than the starter doesn't fair to well. I took mine on one long road trip and when I went to leave the starter did nothing but click. I changed the starter out and put in a new mini starter and when I got home I put the original one back in. the design of the stock starter the solenoid is rolled over away from the side of the block and that header tube. If they made a mini starter to where the solenoid is rolled up on top or even away from the block it would work great with TTI small block headers. Just my two cents.
Pat Faley
69 vert project
East Peoria IL

I think some of the aftermarket ministarters can be "clocked". This might help..

Put a starter from a 90's RAM truck in my 273, cost ~$10 at JY including the cables (which I used). I also got 2 rebuilt ones off ebay for ~$45 to use on my other 60's Mopars when needed. I don't recall any problems bolting it in. Indeed, it was much easier than was getting the original beast out, which barely fit past the exhaust and steering gear, with the wheels turned just so.

The mini-starter seems to turn the engine over faster. It fires in ~1 sec even with a carburetor. It seems to make a higher-pitched whine, sounding like a little turbine engine.

Up on ramps this weekend, I noticed it looks like the inner tie rod on the driver's side might brush the thin bolt on the starter, or at least the cotter pin does. I'll check closer. Seems like the steering was catching slightly when I drove it the first and only time.

I have one on every one of my rigs, I love the faster cranking a lighter weight. BB SM /6 it's been a bolt on for me.

Pat Faley
69 vert project
East Peoria IL

thats why ya use one from a '97 dakota, 5.2. the smallest available mini starter. i had this same issue with my smallblock with tti headers...

this was my first setup with the "larger" mini starter that hit the header tube as you were referring to:

IMG_2304.jpg

IMG_2306.jpg

quick trip to NAPA to get one for a 97' dakota 5.2, fixes this issue...

IMG_2316.jpg

IMG_2314.jpg

Mopar Dude you wouldn't happen to have the number for that starter would you? When you look up the number for the 97 Dakota 5.2 they give you two options that will work and I just looked at the number of the one I had in my car and it matched one of the numbers they called for on the dakota it is something like 174666. Don't quote me on that number but it was something like that. That one is the one that the header tube laid right on top of so, hopefully there is a smaller one.
Pat Faley
67 NB S Clone
69 vert project
East Peoria IL

-
Back