Small Block oil pump bushing

-

66dartman

Reaction score
I have read that to install the oil pump drive bushing in a small block you need a Miller Special Tools p/n C3053 driver to fit it and burnish it in the block. I called Miller and they want $80.00 for it which is outrageous considering what it is. I was going to drive mine in with a bushing driver. Do I really need the tool?

i didnt use one-i used a brass tap and a drill bit that was just a bit larger then the bushing- it worked out fine-not as precise as the miller tool but hey-it worked!

The hard part is not installing the bushing, but having it sized properly for the drive. I cheat, and use an old good drive with the gear cut back to install it, so it is sized correctly after install. Also, they tend to crack the flat area off if you just use a too large driver or sockt..And if they dont sit flush in the block, you may have a hard time with timing jumping around, and the distributor not tightening down all the way. You should be able to turn the drive easily with a screwdiver after it's back together..If it feels tight, it is prob not sized right. Lastly, keep in mind..if you dont have the tool, any particles you make trying to size it right, end up in the oil pump. is all this trouble worth $80 to you?

The bushing should be the first thing put back in before anything else is in the block, then you dont have particals in the oil or pump.

BJR Racing

yeah, I took it to mean the engine was assembled already..my bad...

Thank you gentlemen, I am having the block bored .030 right now and when I get it back I plan on installing the bushing and the freeze plugs right after cleanup. Still debating on the installer tool, I have an old oil pump drive that I can use as a driver.
I love to buy tools, but I don't know how often I will ever use the driver tool and as cheap as I am i can put that $80 to use for parts! BJR and Moper, I really respect both of your opinions.

-
Back