small block question

-

squidbob

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have a 273 that's apart its stock bore stock crank year 64 I'm a big block guy the only reason I kept it was someone told me the crank is the same as a 340 is it worth anything or is it scrap iron only?

I personally liked the pollys but that's me I had a 63 dart with a polly and a 4 speed int it got a lot of weird looks from people

The '64 273 crank is not the same as a 340.
Yes it's forged, and yes it is the same 3.315 stroke. But it is balanced for super lightweight pistons, compared to the 340 forged slugs; 549 gms versus 719gms. Could it be used in a 340? Yes with weigh-matched or lighter-than,273 pistons.. But so can 318 cranks, which had 592 gm pistons, which are pretty darn close to the KB243s at 585gms .
Is it scrap? Not hardly. There should already be a line up forming, of 273 lovers, wanting the whole engine.

Last edited:
Not scrap . We ran a 340 with 273 crank and rods ina street motor . Need to use lightweight 340 pistons though .

I couldn't give my 273 or components away when I was trying to dispose of it. I ended up selling it for scrap because the cost of crating & shipping made it cost prohibitive to buy. Nobody inquired about the crank...odd.

-
Back