Small Block Torque Converter Weights

-

darc1722

Reaction score
Trying to get this straight, a small block 318 torque converter will not require weights added to it for balancing because it's an externally balanced engine, is this true? Is that the same for a 360 or 408 stroker. In which scenario would you need weights added to a small block engine torque converter, if at all? Can someone help me understand this, thanks.

318 are internally balanced...no weights needed on converter...no weighted balancer either

360 are externally balanced....need weight balancer and either weighted converter or weighted flexplate...

408...depends on crankshaft material.. and weight of rods and pistons...it can be either externally or internally balanced...best to take parts to machine shop...

318s are INTERNALLY balanced with steel crank, all use neutral torque converter. Cast crank 318s have minor "unbalance" built into the dampener

360's have a MAJOR unbalance built into the torque converter, require converter weights.

Special bores, pistons, strokers are a custom balance situation.

LA and Magnum 360s are both externally balanced but are DIFFERENT from each other, so a weighted converter off a 360LA is not correct for a 360 Magnum

For me the answer is easy. DON'T use a weighted converter, instead use an aftermarket weighted flex plate, and make sure th engine has the proper balancer.

For me the answer is easy. DON'T use a weighted converter, instead use an aftermarket weighted flex plate, and make sure th engine has the proper balancer.

This is one question I have been pondering for my near future install.

I believe I have a neutral torque converter and a flex plate.

How much weight do I add to the flex plate and where do you buy it ?

Thanks
Ian.

318s are INTERNALLY balanced with steel crank, all use neutral torque converter. Cast crank 318s have minor "unbalance" built into the dampener

360's have a MAJOR unbalance built into the torque converter, require converter weights.

Special bores, pistons, strokers are a custom balance situation.

LA and Magnum 360s are both externally balanced but are DIFFERENT from each other, so a weighted converter off a 360LA is not correct for a 360 Magnum

Never heard that before, as far as I know all LA 318's are internally balanced, I'm told the 5.2's are also internally balanced. No difference in the LA cast or forged steel crank as far as they are internally balanced. Educate me on the externally balance 318.

Well they don't use weights on the flex, or flywheel in the case of a stick, but they DO have a balancer that's different than forged cranks. So far as I'm concerned, that, technically is externally balanced. Cast/ forged 340s are same way.

This is one question I have been pondering for my near future install.

I believe I have a neutral torque converter and a flex plate.

How much weight do I add to the flex plate and where do you buy it ?

Thanks
Ian.

You don't add weight to the flex plate. You add it to the torque converter and there is a weight package that comes with a guide as to where to weld it on the converter or you buy a aftermarket flex plate that's specifically balanced for your particular engine. You didn't say what engine you have so no way to know what flex plate you need. Also need to know what transmission.

I suspect this is going to be complicated.

I have a 360, a torque converter...not sure if it is balanced, an a727 and a flex plate.

I am digging much of this stuff out where I have it stored.

I need to know what I have before I can ask specific questions.

Thanks
Ian.

I suspect this is going to be complicated.

I have a 360, a torque converter...not sure if it is balanced, an a727 and a flex plate.

I am digging much of this stuff out where I have it stored.

I need to know what I have before I can ask specific questions.

Thanks
Ian.

JFYI, All torque converters are balanced first (those weights are on the outer perimeter of the converter) then if needed they add a weight or weights to the engine side of the converter between the lugs to create the imbalance needed for the engine used.

-
Back