small block w-2 heads

-

EdsWelding

Reaction score
Anybody have or have any information on the EARLY W-2 heads like the ones Bob Glidden used on the arrow? I believe these castings were " hand wiped" and not production even though they had part numbers. I'll bet Carlton had some also for the Missle project. I'll try to get some pictures and part#'s if I can. Any help would be appriciated, Thanks, Frank

The first time I read anything on Glidden, it was an Car Craft article.
It was coverage on the first time shakedown runs of the Arrow.
In that article, they stated that Plymouth had given him a pallet of blocks & heads, along with a new Dodge 1-Ton & Chapparel trailer.
Plymouth had told Glidden, that all the R&D was his, he didn't have to share it.
They just wanted him to race for them.
He described the Mopar engine as a "chevy" with funny rocker arms.
The Arrow ran as fast as his record setting Fairmont that first time out, I think it was an 8.48 et.
I would love to see more info on the W2 stuff from that era.
The odd thing was, it took a Ford guy to bring out the best of the W2 smallblock.
None of the Mopar guys seem to challenge him, as he dominated the 1979 season.
He had a 1980 Volare being built, but Chrysler went bankrupt at this time, killing any chance of a 1980 season.

I have some articles on the Arrow and W-2 stuff from when it was introduced buried here somewhere at home. I don't think that the W-2 heads were anything special unless they were supplied not "finish machined". Glidden reconfigured anything that he thought would help, including what I believe involved cutting out the lifter valley and rewelding everything back to correct the "inefficient" OEM valve train geometry in small blocks.

Some stuff I remember reading about Don Carlton's testing of the small block was that the OEM blocks were not up to the HP being generated. Carlton died in a racing accident in the summer of '77, I believe. When did the original X-block come out?

Here are some pics I took of the heads in question. Does anyone know if these heads are legal for any class (NHRA) stock/superstock. I think the casting date is late 74. If anyone has more info I would be grateful, Thanks, Frank

Attachments

• head1.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 753
  • head2.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 714
  • head3.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 727
  • serial3.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 710
I didn't think they hit the market until 1977.
Dodge did have a prototype 1977 pick-up with a W2 headed 360 in it.
Would have loved to seen it released, but the heads were too dirty for emissions use.

I have heard about that 360 truck project in the late 70's from Dave Koffel. He said that would have been a killer sleeper combo. Does anybody know if Fred Flagle is still around?

I have Diamond W-2 heads that have ben made rectangular. Unleaa you have a high stall and low gears they are dogs until 5000 + RPM. I had to put a small rectangular port dual plane to get them to wotk on my street /strip car. I guess this is off topic but Herb McCandlees told me that rectangular port W2's don't work with an automatic. Too much volume/not enough velocity.

I have Diamond W-2 heads that have ben made rectangular. Unleaa you have a high stall and low gears they are dogs until 5000 + RPM. I had to put a small rectangular port dual plane to get them to wotk on my street /strip car. I guess this is off topic but Herb McCandlees told me that rectangular port W2's don't work with an automatic. Too much volume/not enough velocity.
Ted, I don't see the advantage for changing these ports from oval to rect. Indy cyl. head makes a nice intake that is oval and I'm told it works very well,especially in the torque area.

-
Back