Small thermostat and water neck housing on my M1 Inlet

-

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hi, I just bought an M1 Dual Plane inlet manifold. The thermostat hole and housing required is much smaller than all others I have seen. It is an LA, not a Magnum. Does anyone know where i can buy the correct vertical water neck (thermo housing) and the smaller thermostat? Maybe Rock Auto? Or any one know of any more Mopar specific places that might sell them? (see photos attached)

Thanks

inlet therrmostat sizes 2.jpg

inlet therrmostat sizes 1.jpg

If I remember correctly, look for OEM replacements for late '70's-on & Magnums. They reconfigured the thermostat housing for clearance when they went to a different A/C compressor.

Thanks for reply Locomotion. I heard they changed them in 79. I think I found one on Rock Auto online catalog. It certainly looks different (and less substantial) than the ones I am used to using. Have a look here and expand the pictures, especially the one that also shows the gasket. Looks almost like pressed tin! But seems that is the one I will have to buy.

1984 DODGE DIPLOMAT 5.2L 318cid V8 Thermostat Housing / Water Outlet | RockAuto

There is another brand/version that is a thicker casting. But I don't recall where I got it from and I can't find the spare at the moment. The "tin" version looks too fragile for my preferences unless it turns out to be your only option.

My experience has been that the "tin" ones seal far better than the castings. I had an MP chromed tin one on my Duster when I had magnum heads and it never leaked. Can't say the same for any other thermostat housings in the LA style other than the O-ring housing I am currently running.

thanks for the replies. Good to know the different experiences out there. I'm in Australia but we have Chrysler dealers here but I doubt they would have that part although I can try. I will check out the Autozone one too. Yeah, the O ring ones are my first choice too but I have only seen them in the older type.

Summit sells them, I ordered one for a 1985 ramcharger.

Summit sells them, I ordered one for a 1985 ramcharger.

Thanks for the tip, I was looking at getting some parts from Summit, so it's good to know they have that also, will check it out

Thanks for that pic Lelo, yeah that outlet looks a bit garish, so high - it must be to clear all the extra crap they put on the new engines. I did see those dimples on the Rock Auto site, they have large clear pictures of them. I wish they had kept the nicer looker larger early style. This is a nice new M1 dual plane manifold I have but it's one of those rare times when going to a factory item turns into a pain in the butt to fit.

The one I ordered from summit was a cast aluminum. They sell both styles.

The one I ordered from summit was a cast aluminum. They sell both styles.
yes, just had a look, $7.97 with gasket. Very nice and cheap too. But postage is over $A 40 for me, looks like I will have to buy some more things to put in the parcel ! thnx

I found one at autozone or advanced auto, made to fit a chevy. Take a measurement and see what you find.

-
Back