Small to large bolt pattern swap-rear end

-

ppsi

Reaction score
I thought I posted my many issues-w-my 65 dart here but I cannot find the post so I'm sorry if this is a repeat.
I have a 65 4 door Dart that I did some upgrades on several years ago. It was the car my son drove through High School and now my twin girls need a car so I figured-w-some wife demanded upgrades I will let them use this for their first demo derby adventures. This is what I remember doing-it was 6 years ago:
Rebuilt motor from a 76 Aspen shaved either .030 or .060 off the deck -I forget how much.
basic head porting/blending
Super 6-currently-w-a Holley but am about to rebuild & install a Carter BBD
Fuel line mod
Master Power Brake disk conversion
After market A/C
Siebring buckets-w-shoulder belt
Headlight relay
Electronic Ignition module in the distributor
some other stuff I forget right now.
My most pressing issue is needing to get a new rear end. The one that is in it is a 7 1/4" sure grip and I had to redrill the axle flanges for large bolt pattern due to the front disk upgrade needed 15" BBP wheels. The redrilling is not a great job and the indexing hub on the flangeneeded to be made larger so I welded a ring to the original which also isn't perfect.
I am just real confused about what options I have, if any, of going to an 8 1/4" or even an 8 3/4. I need the BBP obviously but I'd like the larger rear drum setup too. I've looked at teh charts on a few sites but they don't include the bolt pattern.
If someone can offer some solutions/options for a swap I'd appreciate it greatly. All the information and variations I've read just keeps going around in my head w/o allowing me to make a determination. It doesn't have to be a direct bolt in although this would be ideal. I can weld new perches and get a new drive shaft if this is required.
Needless to say I am on a tight budget for this car. I have to do a power steering upgrade and a power brake upgrade as well. I would be best off posting to the other areas here for questions about these two upgrades yes? I have all the power steering components but will need to spend rediculouse $ for a new MC/booster-w-the "Hemi" offset bracket for the power brakes.
Thanks
Howard
Hampstead, NC

-
Back