Smoking Badly From Breathers

-

DusterArty

Reaction score
I know this isnt a A bodie engine, nor is it in my A bodie, but i need this to run good so i can sell it to put money into my A bodie, i have a 86 mustang with a 351, i took it out of storage to sell it and its smoking badly from the breathers on my valve covers, i replaced both of them and still nothing, if i came onto the car it would smoke pretty good, and if you take the breather out then it seems like there is bad blow by on the valves, i know this is a long shot but does anyone know what could be wrong, thanks !

must be an older cleveland or windsor in the stang - is it carburated or did u use the efi?

Rings are probably stuck due to being in storage assuming it didn't smoke prior to being put away. Take it for a drive if you can and see if they'll expand. Not much you can do otherwise. I know someone will say "Seafoam it", lol.

smoke or steam? Oil could have water condensation in it if it were stores in a non temp controlled barn. I would seafoam it just for giggles. If it were rings or valve seals, the seafoam will soften the seals and free the rings. It is just a very lightweight low temp burning Naptha oil.

Alright guys thanks a lot for the help , im
Gonna try all these and if it's still bad , just tear the whole thing down this winter and redo it , always good to have a project car I guess

Try spraying some PB Blaster in each cylinder (enough to soak everything) and let it sit overnight or for a few days. Then go out and take it for a drive. Did this to a Buddy's Blazer a few years ago that had a stuck ring. Fixed it right up.

Change the oil and filter and then add a can of "Engine Restore" to the oil. It comes in a chrome can at any auto parts store. The stuff WORKS.

-
Back