smoking hard out left bank

-
I was having a problem with my left bank smoking .Well I tore it down today and found all the or head answers I needed after compression test showed 60 psi on #3 piston . cant believe #1 still showed over 150 psi , but check out that gasket ouch . Was hoping that was all I had to replace . Dam I didn"t want to tear engine back out ,but no damage to walls ,so will replace 1 piston and rings and go with cometic gasket this time . I may have got the rush and over buzzed it . The monkey on my back said tear it down and lets HIT IT again.
WFO IS ALL I KNOW Hello I am Jon amd I"M a speed addict lol. please help me , send cash to
speed freaks annonomus 157 River Side ave.
Pulln over to the shoulder Wanna runnem man ,Leaving 50 YARD OF RUBBER IN THE REARVIEW MIRROR SCREAMIN "CATCH ME IF YOU CAN . Sammy Hagar Let Sally Drive

This thread should read ANOTHER DREAM GOES UP IN SMOKE also another gr8 Sammy tune

100_2051.JPG

100_2046.JPG

100_2047.JPG

100_2048.JPG

100_2050.JPG

Ouch. New slugs seem to be in order:BangHead: Detonation or running lean. IMO. And of course the gasket but that might have been pre-detonation. pinging

Looks like the result of incorrect ring gaps.

kb 107 + .030 if any 1 has a good 1 laying around no rings nessesary please click on my cuda and call my # if you do pressed pin thanks all

might as well pull the head on the other side

I'm sure that gasket is pushed also

What heads are you running?
What's compression ratio

Pull the other head. What was the ring gaps set at, as rrr pointed out? That doesnt explain the head gaskets, that looks like a tuning issue.....

yah it looks a little lean on top , I knew better than to do 4 runs without reading the plugs
but the new 800 holley was really pulling hard and I was having to much fun . now I pay

There is no other way now except to remove it and another complete rebuild. That is, unless you want a possible repeat.

yah it looks a little lean on top , I knew better than to do 4 runs without reading the plugs
but the new 800 holley was really pulling hard and I was having to much fun . now I pay
don't know file gap but I will be pulling other head to replace with cometic gaskets.
they are RHS X HEADS 10.2 :1 is what my builder measured

Lean will make more power, BUT it melts stuff! Like a cutting torch, add oxygen and cut thru the steel .

don't know file gap but I will be pulling other head to replace with cometic gaskets.
they are RHS X HEADS 10.2 :1 is what my builder measured
The gaskets said good bye more then likely because of, Pre detonation. Too much timing, too much compression, or not enough octain in the fuel. Or a combination of all the mentioned. Now the melted piston looks to be too lean. Altho pinging can ruin pistons as well if severe enough.

yah I"ll be tearing out this week and hopn to have backin by memorial weekend Mikes been buisy
this year, work is picking up in the Madison Wisc.area this spring

yah I"ll be tearing out this week and hopn to have backin by memorial weekend Mikes been buisy
this year, work is picking up in the Madison Wisc.area this spring
Make sure you find out as best you can what caused this so you dont get a repeat performance.

used to melt a lot in the snowmobiles when I raced when I was a kid temps could change 15 degrees between races . hard to see in pic but the whole ring is there and it still showed over 150 psi on comp test . there is a 1 inch long piece of valve relief missing just chipped down to the ring
no hole . but no nick on valve either , but will have to check it and repolish it , I am sure there is melted metal on it too.

Make sure you find out as best you can what caused this so you dont get a repeat performance.
forsure I wasn't even going to rebuild this 1 if I saw piston damage , but summer hasn't even started so Here I go again . think I was mad , are you married ??? dimonds are way more expensive than mopar engines .LoL I see as much use for a dimond as she see"s for another car or engine

forsure I wasn't even going to rebuild this 1 if I saw piston damage , but summer hasn't even started so Here I go again . think I was mad , are you married ??? dimonds are way more expensive than mopar engines .LoL I see as much use for a dimond as she see"s for another car or engine
I do know what you mean. I dont build race engines anymore, too much money. I used to pull in tractor pulls! Talk about money fixing engines! Man, they have to be just right. I lost a 15 grand small block chevy because of one Allan bolt not torqued to specs. On the fuel injection pump, driving off the top timing sprocket. Racing cost money....

I do know what you mean. I dont build race engines anymore, too much money. I used to pull in tractor pulls! Talk about money fixing engines! Man, they have to be just right. I lost a 15 grand small block chevy because of one Allan bolt not torqued to specs. On the fuel injection pump, driving off the top timing sprocket. Racing cost money....
I hear yah , the smallest overlook can cost the most . We have 5 circle tracks here in 50 miles of us ,2 are now closed and we have all we can do to keep enough cars coming to run a full feature anymore I'm hooked on open wheel dirt track midgets and sprints but like you said no $ in racing . most just for the RUSH . Even nascar down to 40 cars now and Mopars out .
at least I gave up drinking booze for this 14 years ago ,that got expensive too.

Lean will make more power, BUT it melts stuff! Like a cutting torch, add oxygen and cut thru the steel .

Lean does not make more power. Only rich does. The reason running lean is destructive is because there is oxygen still present in the mixture. This enables metals like a hot aluminum piston to oxidize and burn. It is a lot harder for a piston to melt by sheer heat and change its phase of matter without the presence of oxygen.

The combustion process is also actually slower when lean. This is proven if you've ever had a backfire in the intake. The fuel was still burning at the end of the exhaust stroke and the new intake charge ignited. What makes power is to have the quickest burning mixture and to have the highest amount of cylinder pressure around 5-10 degrees after tdc. This is the primary reason spark is advanced as rpm increases. The burn rate of the mix remains the same but in order to get max pressure just after tdc we have to lead the spark and begin combustion a little bit sooner.

Last edited:
im with RRR complete rebuild and get the ring gaps figured out or this will happen again .

I would check ring gaps also. If they butt together it will take the ring land off.

well got the whole upper end off now and ready to pull saterday . first post smoking left bank came up with 1 chipped piston and 3 eggshaped gasket holes #1 was chipped.
today got the right side tore down , and found # 8 chipped and ^ was egged shaped in gasket slightly. so now wondering if I found the breathing potentials of stock manifolds ??
don't know y most damage was on passenger bank the drivers side has that funky manifold .it is a 65 Barracuda with a built 360 with stock manifolds .
my first guess was to much timing or over reved
2nd best answer I got was rings not properly filed to fit , may have been to long , to tight .
what is the proper # I should file the new 1ns too ???? to fit proper in a warm motor?
I"ve never had this happen to any motor before ..
all new pistons and rings coming , so I will have 6 pistons for sale $ 150.00 shipped
I just don't want this to happen again , also I will be putting in cometic gasket for heads
the rest felpro .
anymore info is appreciated from professinal builders or would like to hear your storyand answer if you had happen and had or fixed to shed more light .
here are some pics of the right bank followed again by the left I caught smoking on upper and of the run figured if 1 went as hard as the left bank did there had to be damage on the right side. Funny neither broken pistons had any compression lost . figure $700.00 in damage , No sign of valve damage but replacing # 1 and 8 exhaust valves anyways , just incase ,+ guides will be inspected or replaced . Thanks for responding with insight help people
hope to be back running before memorial day weekend if not next week. THE BARRACUDA"S 53RD BIRTHDAY.

100_2054.JPG

100_2055.JPG

100_2056.JPG

100_2057.JPG

100_2050.JPG

100_2046.JPG

You have not found the limit of your manifolds, you found the limit of a improper tune..... remember, "tuning......its not just for guitars"

-
Back