so is this wore out or what

-

furydan

not so junior member
Reaction score
Here is a picture of my input shaft from my 833 4 speed.. Is the step supposed to be there? Is this thing no good anymore? I am in the process of swapping motors and had no trouble with the trans. Just checking that this is ok.
Dan

Attachments

• input shaft1.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 306
  • input shaft2.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 275
OK so you posted this question at 4AM on the west coast and are chompin' at the bit for an answer at only 9:30AM, a time when many of the younger guys are at work?

Chill out buddy. But don't run that as is. That shaft is seriously worn out.

If the nose of it is worn enough to let the shaft wobble about the front seal and bearing in the trans would fail. I dont think you have a problem there.

Any Mopar shaft I've ever seen did NOT have steps in grooves on the pilot area of the shaft.

Looks like it was turned down for a smaller id pilot brg, check the ID of the pilot brg against the OD of the shaft should be real close. But that grove doesn't look good to me.

I dont know what could have worn a groove in it either. If it fits run it.

Someone could have in fact turned it down to fit a pilot bearing. Does the finish/OD look flat across the entire nose of that to the groove? I dont think it would wear past the width of the pilot bearing, ie on the tip of the nose.

Please use correct terminology in this discussion.
The STEP looks clearly machined, and I agree with idea that is was machined to fit an incorrect pilot bushing. Check dims, and reuse if clearances are correct with existing bushing / crank. Or replicate in a new crank with a new incorrect id bushing.

The GROOVE is a mopars 'code' for the 3.09 gear ratio, is no 'problem'.

red

Well it turns out that the thicker portion of the shaft fit the input BEARING I used in the torque converter register. I had to have the BEARING turned down to fit the smaller register hole of my 1965 273 crankshaft. The crank was not drilled for the 4 speed BUSHING, but was deep enough so that I didn't have to cut the trans input shaft.
Motor is all together now and I put it in the car last night. Now just need to hook it all up.
I agree that the input shaft looks like it was machined for a different bushing, but that seems like a lot more work than just getting the correct bushing to start with. I was told this trans was rebuilt about 3 years ago. Maybe that is when the machining took place.
Sorry about the crappy cell phone pic............

Attachments

• 2011-06-27 19.03.40.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 141
-
Back