So much for that toyota quality..

-
Ha ha you really are "All American"!!!

Nice Dart and, er , friendly dogs

Thanks! My dogs love people, as long as they think we like them...lol

Hemi here, he likes to keep an eye on things!:snakeman:

HemiPoly4-13.jpg

I totally understand supporting ones economy but there seems to a lot of bad mouthing other countries brands. I support American economy because of the parts I buy and the jeans I buy but I have no issues buying a VW golf to get me from A to B in the city or Italian taps or Japanese or German motorcycles or Australian ignition systems (which are way better than MSD). I fly my local airline because I like the service level but have no issues flying Emirates which outdoes almost every other airline.

I love that the world offers so much. I also totally respect anyone elses desire to buy from their own economy. It just gets out of hand when it becomes an argument against the quality of the rest of the world.

Well, the argument part for me stems from the fact that our media has in the past blown up every little negative thing they could find about GM, Ford and Chrysler while burying any negatives about Japanese vehicles.
Because of that most people don't realize that a high number of recalls are not new for Toyota. They have been a recall leader for the past 3 or 4 years. It was not until people actually died from one of the problems that it made the national news!
Misinformation is a very dangerous tool! Look at our most recent presidential election. Would the people who voted for Obama have done so if he would have told the truth? I don't think so but he still got elected! How does this relate? Well, if you here constantly told how good a particular car is and you buy it only to find out it's not what they claimed....ya get where I'm going here? LOL The bs ads from all the manufacturers are bad enough but you know where they are coming from. You know up front that they are biased. When the media is doing it, it's just wrong so if I and others seem to be enjoying Toyota's problems right now, we are! I love it!

Bad mouthing other countries brands is the American way. USA USA USA!!! LOL

Just joking. Hey I bad mouth ford and chevys too and I have a ford truck.

Well, the argument part for me stems from the fact that our media has in the past blown up every little negative thing they could find about GM, Ford and Chrysler while burying any negatives about Japanese vehicles.
Because of that most people don't realize that a high number of recalls are not new for Toyota. They have been a recall leader for the past 3 or 4 years. It was not until people actually died from one of the problems that it made the national news!
Misinformation is a very dangerous tool! Look at our most recent presidential election. Would the people who voted for Obama have done so if he would have told the truth? I don't think so but he still got elected! How does this relate? Well, if you here constantly told how good a particular car is and you buy it only to find out it's not what they claimed....ya get where I'm going here? LOL The bs ads from all the manufacturers are bad enough but you know where they are coming from. You know up front that they are biased. When the media is doing it, it's just wrong so if I and others seem to be enjoying Toyota's problems right now, we are! I love it!

Manufacturer Auto Recalls Scoreboard for Model Cars 1990-2010

Qty Car Manufacturer View Stats ByQty Car Manufacturer View Stats By215 Acura Recalls Year Model Overview8 Alfa Romeo Recalls Year Model Overview35 Aston Martin Recalls Year Model Overview263 Audi Recalls Year Model Overview199 Bentley Recalls Year Model Overview739 BMW Recalls Year Model Overview287 Buick Recalls Year Model Overview226 Cadillac Recalls Year Model Overview1,559 Chevrolet Recalls Year Model Overview493 Chrysler Recalls Year Model Overview60 Daewoo Recalls Year Model Overview9 Daihatsu Recalls Year Model Overview2 Demo Recalls Year Model Overview1,194 Dodge Recalls Year Model Overview71 Eagle Recalls Year Model Overview117 Ferrari Recalls Year Model Overview2,195 Ford Recalls Year Model Overview40 Geo Recalls Year Model Overview847 GMC Recalls Year Model Overview689 Honda Recalls Year Model Overview26 Hummer Recalls Year Model Overview242 Hyundai Recalls Year Model Overview125 Infiniti Recalls Year Model Overview129 Isuzu Recalls Year Model Overview143 Jaguar Recalls Year Model Overview459 Jeep Recalls Year Model Overview99 Kia Recalls Year Model Overview9 Lamborghini Recalls Year Model Overview137 Land Rover Recalls Year Model Overview137 Lexus Recalls Year Model Overview169 Lincoln Recalls Year Model Overview309 Mazda Recalls Year Model Overview344 Mercedes-Benz Recalls Year Model Overview336 Mercury Recalls Year Model Overview23 Mini Recalls Year Model Overview427 Mitsubishi Recalls Year Model Overview534 Nissan Recalls Year Model Overview286 Oldsmobile Recalls Year Model Overview10 Peugeot Recalls Year Model Overview287 Plymouth Recalls Year Model Overview420 Pontiac Recalls Year Model Overview136 Porsche Recalls Year Model Overview- Rolls Royce Recalls Year Model Overview92 Saab Recalls Year Model Overview196 Saturn Recalls Year Model Overview- Smart Recalls Year Model Overview183 Subaru Recalls Year Model Overview102 Suzuki Recalls Year Model Overview599 Toyota Recalls Year Model Overview371 Volkswagen Recalls Year Model Overview

And yet ANOTHER recall for Toylete...10,000.00 Lexus suv's were recalled on Monday...crapola!!!!:thumbdow::thumbdow::thumbdow:

I have a 96 ford ranger 4 wheel drive 5 speed 3.0 v6 (pushrod engine). It has been perfectly flawless and has 210K. I even drove that thing quite hard for a number of years.. This year model has minimal electronics. It does have a basic crank trigger ignition which is the most complex electronic on the entire vehicle. I may have just got a good one, it came factory with no air, manual windows. Replaced the clutch once (tossed in an autozone slave cylinder for good measure), did brakes and usual service. 4wd works flawlessly as well. I agree that the more electronically controlled factors on a car the more failure points these days.
The complex electronics if working properly from the factory will fail given some time. They are sweet, then they start failing and no one can ever get them right again. I have an 00 F150. They have a "power train control module" which runs (commands) the motor and transmission. That is probably the most common failure point on those vehicles.. My F150 has 160k and is beginning to have issues with the module. Ford blew 600 dollars of my money to tell me it could be a number of things but the PCM is definetly acting strange.. I took it back and said thanks for nothing..

I had a 1980 chevy citation coupe (non hatchback) manual everything 4 cly no air. Drove it long and hard for 12 years on primarily gravel roads as i lived far out in the country. Put 176k on that car with 0 mechanical issues. That was even after my mom t-boned and totaled a chevelle, we were going about 45. The citation had a busted grille, crumpled the hood, we drove it home where my dad straightened the hood pulled the bumper out (bumper shocks) and mended the grille and replaced the front lights. Finally at 176k, I was just out of highschool and crazy. Jumped it off an embankment, knocked a large hole in the radiator (gravel road rocks flying everywhere). My friend took it on a road trip a couple weeks later and let it run out of water, he apparently held it to the floor until it simply siezed up. It was never the same after that. I tore it down, had melted a hole in the side of the cylinder in the head gasket area..

Modern metals are good quality and tolerances are tight. If you can get a basic automobile with limited frills and mostly mechanically controlled systems, it will probably last a long time. I would definitely recommend looking at a late 90s ford 4wd ranger with manual everything. They are really very durable.

Otherwise just get a no frills car. I would get a car between the years of 98 and 04 with manual everything and limited to no computer controlled systems.

I hate to say it but a 98 civic is one of the better cars made. Manual trans, 1.8 liter. Manual windows. Drive it normal, service it well, that car will last for a long long time. They had only a small hand full of electronically controlled systems.

Like an old tractor.. :)

Simple is better (in terms of frequency and cost of maintenance), has less failure points and is usually less expensive to repair.

My good friend has an 04 F150 v6 with manual everything, has air. This truck has had 0 issues. Has 80K now.. He does good services and uses synthetic oils.

I vote a clean firm /6 a-body with an aluminum a833 OD and 3.23s with air con and manual windows and an american flag tinted on the back window. If I have my way that will be my daily driver in a couple years.

Buy American, Hire American!

For you Toyota haters out there….. Can you name some really good, reliable American cars made in the last 10 years? I may be in the market…..

Im not looking for a truck or SUV.

I would like suggestions that offer good MPGs and a proven long term reliability record.

Thanks for any help you can give.

And to think that my brother's 1977 Ferrari 308 GT4 has twin air pumps on it...made by Delco and the same part numbers as those on a Chevette.
And when he bought the car (1 owner California doctor's car) the only thing wrong with it was both air pumps were siezed.

America's love affair with the automobile has a new spark -- a renewed affection for U.S.-made cars after a long dalliance with foreign automakers.

http://autos.yahoo.com/articles/aut...k-poll-americans-say-us-cars-top-asian-autos/

I disagree. There is no renewed affection for anything. This is crapaganda plain and simple. Not like there isnt truth to toyotas screwups...
All new cars are **** in general. Doesnt matter whether it's a toyota, a dodge, ford, or gm. They are all crap. I am unbiiased. I wont buy anything.

This is political. It's the beginning of a massive trade war with asia and escalation from there. Mark my words.

When toyota was over here selling like hotcakes and lining pockets, anyone in the media reporting anything counterproductive about toyota would have been slit from their *** to their ear and chucked in the river.
That's a fact.

well i just read this thread for the first time. i think someone should remove it. it embarrases me to be part of a forum with garbage like this on it. and some of you should be embarrased by your childish posts. i have made a lot of good friends by joining this forum, but things have been going downhill lately around here. i thought this site was FOR A BODIES ONLY, not FOR BASHING OTHER PEOPLE. thats just my opinion. have a good day.

i thought this site was FOR A BODIES ONLY, not FOR BASHING OTHER PEOPLE. thats just my opinion. have a good day.

This is a A-body board but apparently you signed up for the political forum or you wouldn't be able to read this post. A lot of stuff happens here that don't happen elsewhere on the board. I don't condone some of the happenings either but it is a political forum and you know how politics is a very emotional subject. I sometimes get emotional in this forum but I try not to let it spill over into the other forums. If we disagree here and you post a problem in another forum I will do my best to help. I think most of the guys and gals here are like that.

i thought NEWS AND POLITICS was the political forum on this site. which is private, and i never enter. but this thread is in the general discussion forum of the site. which comes up on the home page. oh well, it doesnt really matter. i guess i just like the old FABO better.

Dalliance-thats a word I haven't heard in a while.

Basically it seems that some members are saying that American steel, electronics, design etc etc seems to be better. However, look at rallying in America. Subarau wins 5 years in a row. I think all countries and all manufacturers have something to offer. I dig the States, I like the people but I also like variety. The calamari is better in South Africa than Australia by far because it comes from Patagonia, the tiles in the house are from Italy because they are better quality, my car parts are mostly American because of the quality but this has more to do with the quality of a particular USA brand. Wide wide wide world out there.

I'm curious how many mambers on this post have travelled overseas.

For you Toyota haters out there….. Can you name some really good, reliable American cars made in the last 10 years? I may be in the market…..

Im not looking for a truck or SUV.

I would like suggestions that offer good MPGs and a proven long term reliability record.

Thanks for any help you can give.

I have a 2000 LHS with 108,000mi that gets 27mpg+ on the hiway and 22mpg+ city. I've never had to do anything other than reg maint. It runs and looks like new. I would avoid any chrysler with the 2.7 but my LHS has been a great car. My father-in-law bought an Avalon about the same time I got the LHS and it was not as reliable as the LHS. He traded it at 79,000 for a 2004 Mercury Grand Marq. which has given him very good service.

63 dart, you must have just made that story up because you are blinded by your love of the United States of America! LOL

And my Concorde LXi is still rockin 30+ mpg highway w/130,000+ miles and counting!:-D

63 dart, you must have just made that story up because you are blinded by your love of the United States of America! LOL

And my Concorde LXi is still rockin 30+ mpg highway w/130,000+ miles and counting!:-D

LOL. I buy whatever I can get a deal on. I owned an import auto parts store, an auto repair shop and was a car dealer for quite a number of years. I have owned and driven many different brands and they are all good IMHO. I do all of my own repair and in almost fifty years of owning cars I have never had one that wasn’t a pretty good car. The best were MOPAR’s from 63 to 69 but I had A Dynasty that went almost 200,000 with just basic maint. And my LHS has been really great. I also own a 2007 T&C van which has 40,000 and it has been trouble free. My current vehicles are a 63 Dart GT, a 66 Dart GT, an 81 Ram 150, an 84 AMC Eagle, a 00 LHS and a 07 T & C. I just love cars and especially old MOPAR’s

My newest vehicle is a '92 GMC pickup with I forget how many miles. It just keeps going and going and going....lol. We bought it for $1,500 six years ago and have done very little maintenance. Every start up is a freebie. :D

The only experience I have with an import is my brother-in-law's Honda which was the biggest POS. What was really funny is that he works for Ford and they wouldn't let him park it in the lot, he had to walk a couple blocks to work. hahaha

you are entitled to your opinion but name calling and basicly askin for a fight isn't to welcome.....tame it down....!!!
Spoken like a true "anti-american" MORON:thebirdm::thebirdm::thebirdm:..OH BY THE WAY COME MAKE ME SHUT UP:bootysha::bootysha::bootysha:
as far as good vehicles for daily driver......1999 ferd ranger has been doin the heavy liftin and hauling my a body's when I need to get good gas mileage and for the super heavy lifting hauling my 28 foot enclosed trailer is 1988 chevy dually club cab....not my choice but was the only extra cab I could find at the time. and you can look as hard as you want you will not find a foreign car at my place unless I have visitors.....my dad would beat me Lol

-
Back