So what would you build? 400/440???

-

BIG DOG

Reaction score
I posted this on BBD.COM looking for more input not really sure what to build!

I have a 400 and a 440 both pretty much complete from the dome down. The 400 is a 74 truck block the 440 is a 72 block. So my question is which one do I build I know the 400 will fit a little better but the 440 in a A body...? I want to put aluminum heads, water pump housing dome and probably headers even though I have a nice set of 69 hp manifolds . I want it to be light so I know the 400 will end up lighter but is it better? I could possibly get a stroker kit from 440 source but which way to go there
huh.gif
a 500 440 or a 451 400 maybe the 470 is better
huh.gif
? I don't know maybe just building one up stock will be all I want or need ? Car will be a street car with maybe 1 or 2 trips to the strip a year so I want it to have some manners but I don't care if it's a bit on the obnoxious side either. Car is tubbed has connectors a 727 8 3/4 or a ford 9" haven't got that sorted yet., Thoughts info ideas always appreciated!
Thanks!

You got a lotta of the parts so I say a 451.

If you are going to upgrade to a forged crank and stroke the motor I would go with the 400 with the 3.9" stroke crank. It will leave you with a bit more piston skirt and the pin won't be in the oil ring groove.

Do the 400 block and put whichever crank kit you like in it.

I believe the 3.915 440 source kit uses the 6.76 mopar rod and the shortest piston of the group. The 451-470 and 511 (short rod) kits all use a taller piston.

If you get a chevy rod journal on the crank, you can mess around with rod lengths to get a taller/shorter piston on the 3.9 stroke kit. You'll be piecing it together most likely. I just looked at a spreadsheet I did. If you go with a 3.915 crank and a 6.7 rod, you can use a 1.32 comp height piston (same as the 451 or 511 kits) and be right at 0 deck, or REALLY close.

Sorry it's the 4.15 stroke kit that uses the really short piston. Mischiefdart is right about the piston, it's the short rod/tallest piston of the bunch. The 3.9 stroke kit make a really kick *** engine.

-
Back