soda blasting

-

dukeboy440

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried soda blasting an entire car? how well did it work, how well did it cut the rust/undercoating? Any warpage concerns?

I wonder if it would be worth the time and effort?
I know new sheet metal is expensive, but still

anyway, before you get to far into soda blasting...you should watch this video

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qHGxF_hls30"]Awesome Slow Motion Eyecandy: Exploding Soda Cans - YouTube[/ame]

See if there is anyone doing the dustless blasting in your area. They could do it right in your driveway.

I restored a truck that a guy had soda blasted and all it did was take the paint and some undercoating off,didn't touch the rust at all. I ended up taking it to a guy to have it wet blasted(not sure how that works) and that did an awesome job cleaned up all the rust and undercoating

I use Southern Ployurethanes epoxy primer. I am by no means an expert but their tech manual warns of a neutralizing process for soda blasted panels before shooting their primer. It just says to call. Point being there may be some compatibility issues between the soda and paint products. So what ever you use,make sure there are no special steps needed if you do have it soda blasted.

Anyone tried soda blasting an entire car? how well did it work, how well did it cut the rust/undercoating? Any warpage concerns?

I have had two cars complete soda blasted, soda blasting will NOT remove undercoating or rust. I removed the undercoating first, had the cars soda blasted, then any rust that was in structural areas we used STAR Blasting. The soda is great if done properly it will leave the phosphate coating on the original sheet metal, and the guy that did mine had NO warpage. The powder residue will get in to many areas not seen, so flushing will be needed but cleans up super easy.

Had my hood sold blasted

MUST be neutralized afterwards before paint of any kind. Idiot that had the car didn't do it and the primer had to be removed and then prepped correctly. Not a wave in it.

As others have said will not touch undercoating or rust. Had the underbody, trunk, interior and engine compartment sand blasted

Been 20 years since the car was sand blasted, still have black sand come out occasionally.

A buddy that owned a body shop talked about walnut shell blasting. Can do a car with all the trim and not damage the trim. Said they could even do fiberglass cars without damage. Not this probably wouldn't take care of rust or undercoating.

-
Back