Soda Blasting

-

64_Barracuda

Virginia Beach VA
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
All,

I am getting ready to re-restore my 64 Barracuda, after 20 years its time to do it agian. I have been getting quotes on soda blasting. Here is my plan, to pull doors, fenders, hood and trunk off. Pull out interior and glass.

So far quotes for the soda blasting is 800 bucks, does this sound in the ball park? Last time I painted a car Reagan was in office.

Any help would be great.

Rick

OK, just kidding and I'm not trying steal your thread....but juice is better than soda.
Baking soda blasting is not cheap and $800.00 sounds good as compared to regular sand blasting with out all the heat and warping. That $800.00 is only good if the blaster knows what he/she is doing. They can do alot more than $800.00 worth of damage if not carefull. I've been looking at chemical dipping and it's around $2000.00 for my 66 barracuda. Then you still have the problem exposed metal in corners you can't get too to re paint.

Good luck.
Joe

for what its worth.....I had my 66 cuda media blasted cost around 700 and the outcome was great......you do have to spend about a day afterward with a high pressure air hose blowing out the nooks & crannys AND it is advisable to have it professionally undercoated to protect the inside of the panels and cuts down the flying dust when painting.....my 2 centavos

Sorry for the delay,
THat's exactly what I ment. A pannel blasted with sand or hard media can cause warping pannels. IF the guy doing it does not know what he is doing. There are alot of blasters out there and few know how to properly blast a car. Alot of damage can be done due to the heat generated by the blast. I paid $450.00 to have my Dodge truck cab blasted before I had it Rhino Linned inside and out. Pannel warping is not a problem if you apply 1/8" to 1/4" of hot platic coating.

I had reasearched the acid dip process and the problem again is getting it repainted. There was a place in Providence RI that dipped in acid, then neutrallized it and then dips in primer tank and applies an electrical charge.
That was like $5,000.00 bill though. Wait time was like 2 months. Can't do that succesfully in the back yard.

Keep us informed. Also got any 66 Barracuda parts for sale?
Joe
Syleng1

-
Back