Solid Lifters Hydraulic Cam

-

75dartsport

Reaction score
Just curious what would happen if I ran solid lifters with a hydraulic cam. Have a collapsed lifter in my car now, it has a 292/509 mopar purple shaft with adjustable rockers. Would be alot easier to set the lash with solid lifters.

You would end up with junk lifters and a junk cam plus a lot of cast iron run through your engine. Solid lifter cams are ground with clearance ramps on the lobes, hydraulics are not.

Save yourself the aggrevation and expense and just put a solid cam in it. I'll never go back to a hydraulic cam.

Yeah that's right. And with today's new tight lash cams they don't need adjusted nearly as often as the old ones that you had to adjust every 2000 miles. I'm going solid next time.

I have a solid and love it. If you race you can play with the lash a little bit to pick up some E.T. or MPH. Increase the lash by a hundredth or two (no more!) and you effectively make the cam look smaller and increase low-end torque for better 60 foot times. Decrease it by the same amount and you make the cam look bigger and increase high RPM horsepower. It is not a difference you are likely to notice on the street but on the track it can make a difference.

yes, one more sport, a hyd cam runs positive lash, meaning preload ,a solid runs negative lash, meaning a gap.

yes you can run them but you will need the lash set somewhere around .004" or more. it'll be up to you to make sure you have enough to make sure the valves return to thier seats when the motor is warmed up. like said above it's not made for it and will be a bit violent on the valve train components.

I tried it. I set the lash at .010 and have put over 200 miles on it and its working great so far. Haven't had it to the track yet. But have ran it up to 6500 and it seems to be doing alright. Thanks for all the help.

6500rpms.....send off for a "Blackstone oil analysis kit" ....
200 miles should be enough to see if any micro particles are
getting in your oil....and find out before you lose the rest of
motor..unless your running a test for all of us...
best of luck!!!, b

-
Back