Some early Scamp pictures

-

Guitar Jones

aka Angry Johnny
Reaction score
Got the rear frame rails in, the four link and shocks set up and the housing cut to size.

204355331.jpg

204355341.jpg

Sweet, these Scamps are just falling out of every were. Looks like another Y9 Tawney gold car. Like those Holeshots too.

AdamR said:
Sweet, these Scamps are just falling out of every were. Looks like another Y9 Tawney gold car. Like those Holeshots too.

Yep, Tawney Gold. It's going to be flat black though as it's going to be a stealth car. lol

We bought this car for my son about 5 years ago for $300 from a storage lot. It was an abandoned car originally from Arkansas. He drove it on the street for a year or two then it became just a part time race car. Ran 14's with a stock 285,000 mile 318 roller motor.

I didn't want to cut up my Duster as it's an original 340 4 speed car so I traded cars with my son. It was a very solid car with precious little rust. The trunk spare tire well looked like brand new. It's never been hit hard, just parking lot dings and a little damage when they pulled it out of the yard to the right lower quarter.

Anyway my plan is to build the car to run at the bottom of the Pro ET class at 10.00 flat. I need to get it to run around 9.70 in good air to insure I can run 10.00 in the heat of the summer in bad air. I'll just slow it down to get there. Car will be all black as will the front wheels to complete the "hard to see stealth motif". This will make it harder to judge by my slower opponents at the finish line.

Sounds like its gonna be a fun car. What year is it ? Whats your sons plans for the duster ?

Eric_S68 said:
Not wastin any time are you? Lookin Good !

Nope, I need to have it done before the season starts in April.

AdamR said:
Sounds like its gonna be a fun car. What year is it ? Whats your sons plans for the duster ?

It's a '73 but I'll be putting a 71 fiberglass front end on it.

As for the Duster it's going to stay a race car but with a milder engine to slow it down some. It's a great 11 second car at this track but 10's could be a bit much there. Car worked great at South Georgia Motorsports Park though.

That's gonna freakin cool!!!
exct0002.gif

What are you gonna do to help support the the roof now that you have the wheelhouses out and the main roof support cut off?
I ask because i have this delema with mine now that i have the wheelhouse out and can see that the tubs aren't made heavy enough for the roof support.
I was thinking about a cage and tie it into the roof braces some how.

Well, yes it will have the full jungle jim in it but there isn't any room for the trunk hinges so a fiberglass deck lid will be in order. Basically the body will be supported at the rockers front and rear and at the very rear panel where the bumper brackets bolt to. The quarters will be tacked to the wheel tubs as well. I'll just have to see how much more support it will need after that. I'm guessing not much though as this will be strictly a race car.

-
Back