Some later A bodies that use smaller thermostat neck

-

70Hardtop

Reaction score
Hi, I have bought a Mopar M1 inlet for my Valiant Dodge ute (pickup) 273 and it is the later style that uses the smaller thermostat housing, I think you call them water neck. We didn't get these later 318 intakes on our cars, Chrysler Australia stopped in 1982. These intakes are for 1990 on, I think.

I need to buy a top radiator hose to fit the smaller neck and also fit the radiator top connection.

Can anyone tell me some model mopar cars that used this later water neck? So I can look up the hose, as it is too difficult to try and find that particular hose without a model.. And I don't know your model cars around that time.

Thanks

any chance to find a waterneck that fits the hose and intake ?

The smaller water neck and thermostat on the later 318's is the same size as the Slant Six. Try looking up a hose for a Ram pick-up truck V8 from the 80's. I got a upper hose for a Dodge Ram 1988 D250. It was longer on the radiator end I cut about 5-6'' off. Water neck too. Hope you have Rams from that vintage it your neck of the woods !

Chrysler (Mopar Performance) # P4452025 is the number for the small water inlet neck.

The smaller water neck and thermostat on the later 318's is the same size as the Slant Six. Try looking up a hose for a Ram pick-up truck V8 from the 80's. I got a upper hose for a Dodge Ram 1988 D250. It was longer on the radiator end I cut about 5-6'' off. Water neck too. Hope you have Rams from that vintage it your neck of the woods !
Thanks for that lead, I'll do some searches for that truck. Good if it's a bit long, better than being too short. No we didn't get those Rams but I can get most parts imported from the US.

Chrysler (Mopar Performance) # P4452025 is the number for the small water inlet neck.
I have the thermo housing, as I said, (bought that from Summit), it's the top radiator hose that I need. If I can find a few models of cars that used that later neck, then I can do a search and find one that might fit my car.

Does your car have A/C ? There will be 2 part numbers because the upper hose has to clear the A/C compressor .

No I don't have air con. I looked at the Summit racing website, as you know their parts have an 'Application' tab. So I went to the M1 intake page and clicked on Applications and they have years listed there going up to 1991. But i this useless because all it does is give a range of years for Dodge (1967-1991) or Chrysler (1967-1990) etc. Not much help.

I have attached some pictures of an identical engine bay layout from my Charger of many years ago. You can see the shape of the hose. I need the same as this EXCEPT that one end needs to be smaller to fit the smaller water neck. This might be a hard task, as the hose needs to be normal (earlier) size to fit the radiator outlet but small at the other end for the smaller water neck

engbay aircleaner on.jpg

twin snork on eng4resize.jpg

twin snork on eng5.JPG

Last edited:
Problem solved! There are different sized necks, some with a sealing band, some smooth. But the difference is not enough to cause issues with the older rad hose size.

-
Back