Sound dampening spray in trunk

-

Brad426

Reaction score
I have a 1969 Valiant that has what looks like a factory spray on the inside of the rear fenders (trunk). What is the easiest way to remove that stuff? It's farily hard and puggs up the sanding disc. Thanks

Attachments

• DSC00004.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 590
I was told to try a heat gun and a scraper than sand the residue.

Wire wheel on an air grinder. Wear a dust mask and a face shield. Works for me. Dan

Accidentally found out that gasoline will dissolve it. You may want to try a solvent to see if it will soften it easier then a heat gun and less time I would guess.

heat gun and sharp stiff putty knife works best for me then a solvent to clean what left
the problem using any type af abrasive is that it just smear

Thanks guys,,,,,I'll pass on the gasoline trick,,,,My buddy lost his 69 Olds 442, garage and part of the house cleaning with gasoline. I might try MEK though. Will let you know

Heat gun and a putty knife is the correct answer !!

If you use a grinder or solvents you have to go thru the entire thickness to get to sheet metal.

If you are painting the car, use the gun on the outside of the panel to warm it up...not to set it on fire.

I didn't actually clean it with gas. Near my filler neck there had been a leak at some point and I could see where the coating had "melted" down the sheetmetal. The only time I clean with gas is in VERY small amounts and in a container. I like to live to much to die from gasoline.

Well last night I spilled a small amount of gasoline (wink). I loosened up the surface after sitting for a bit. Next I tried lacquer paint thinner. That worked better and I was able to scrap it off the metal. Then I wiped it off. Scraper blades also work well in the tight places. I used the heat gun on the rubberized under coating and that works well. I'm trying to save the paint on the rear quarters so I'm reluctant to use heat or fire...lol. I think I'm on the road to success and thank you all for the advice.

Excuse me for tagging along on this one..... I would like to remove the undercoating under my '68 Dart, and its ancient and hard as a rock. Would the lacquer thinner work on this stuff also.........?? It would take forever to grind off all this s**t if I can't get it started with a solvent of some type..

Thanks.

Mark.

Excuse me for tagging along on this one..... I would like to remove the undercoating under my '68 Dart, and its ancient and hard as a rock. Would the lacquer thinner work on this stuff also.........?? It would take forever to grind off all this s**t if I can't get it started with a solvent of some type..

Thanks.

Mark.

Mark,
What worked well for me was a pneumatic scraper. I got one at HF on sale for ~$10, if I remember right and it worked like a champ. Some of the tight areas can be a challenge, but I got it pretty clean. If necessary, I followed it up with a douching of naptha. Cleaned that crap right up!! L8r

Jim

Excellent ! I'll give that a try. I have to remove all the undercoating so I can replace the rear frame rails....big PITA but necessary.

Thanks !

Mark.

Up Date.
I bought a air scraper. WOW! Took that stuff off like butter. Because it is hard & dry. The rubberized coating still works best the old way with a bit of heat. Naptha or paint thinner cleans it off Jim Dandy. Thanks for all the imput guys. On to the next stage.......

-
Back