spark plug question

-

downsr

Reaction score
If your plugs look like they are black or running a little rich would you go up a heat range or down one

I would take a look at my A/F ratio and make an adjustment on my carb. Changing plugs wont stop your car from running rich.

How did you select the heat range to start with?

A hotter plug will not fix a fuel issue, although a lot of super tuners try it.

I would take a look at my A/F ratio and make an adjustment on my carb. Changing plugs wont stop your car from running rich.

Badaboom!
but what to lean out? The mains, or the lowspeed or the secondaries or the fuel level or tying back the choke, or even the PV timing. Especially the PV timing.Or is it more air she wants? Are you still asking your engine to suck hot,underhood air? or are you running a COLD thermostat?
Question, questions

It depends on where your having issues. Can you hook up some gauges? Weld in a threaded bung or two close to your collectors. You can do a static test and a driving test, with the gauges hooked up so you can see where the issue lies then adjust from there. Air screws, needles, primaries, secondaries, power jets. You have to go through the process of eliminating each stage as the problem.

If you blindly start turning screws and popping jets in you'll get frustrated. Sometimes it's worth a few bucks to get someone with know how and tools involved. It's a lot cheaper to get a mechanics help than it is to rebuild the engine.

I don't know what kind of carb you have, but here is a couple links to tuning tips that may help you.

Edelbrock/carter
http://www.laroke.com/larryk4674/2009/AFB_Rebuild_Guide.pdf

And here is some great info for Holley.
Holley Tune, Part 1

It's hard to help you without being there so read up and talk to some local hot rodders if you can. Good luck.

-
Back