speedo cable for 64 dart

-

Thumpower

Reaction score
Hi. I hope somebody out there can help me. I've got a broken speedo cable on my 64 Dart GT - slant with 904. The inner is broken and the outer is kinked - don't really want to replace the inner (easily gotten) without replacing the outer. Best I've found is $200 - ouch! Anybody got a useable one?

I bought a few speedo cable assemblies, one listed for my car from rockauto I recall, maybe a year ago. Being a cheap bastard (= wise?), I am sure I didn't pay more that $20. I recall getting another off ebay real cheap, I recall 84", so probably for a truck and will definitely be long enough (maybe for my C-body). Not selling though.

I may have one or you could get this one

[ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/OE-Style-Speedometer-Cable-for-1960-1965-MoPar-A-Body-/321165130301?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ac6eefa3d&vxp=mtr"]OE Style Speedometer Cable for 1960 1965 Mopar A Body | eBay[/ame]

Thanks! If you have one, that would be great. At least the one in the link is a good bit cheaper.

Just for your info the correct length should be 65 inch's. Or at least that is the length of speedo cable that was on my 65 Cuda with a 273 4 sp manual trans.

Also rock auto has them for 10.00 plus shipping.

Here is a rock auto discount code to if you want. 2207161720078192 good until the middle of July.

You put it in where it says how did you here about us.

I used ATP, the part # is Y-108. It was under 40.00 US. I got it through my local auto parts store. It's made in Taiwan and worked perfectly in my 67 Barracuda. They have two lengths, I got the short one. The ends are different, but fit great.

Attachments

• Image00151.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 164
  • Image00152.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 167
I have just tried rock Auto - spoke with a human who says that they do not have them. Also tried the part # for ATP and it shows a shift detent cable for a Buick under that part #.

I have just tried rock Auto - spoke with a human who says that they do not have them. Also tried the part # for ATP and it shows a shift detent cable for a Buick under that part #.

Weird, I only ordered mine in Jan of this year. Part no ATP Y804. It was more money to ship than the part was worth but still the cheapest I could find.

I was just cleaning e-mails and ran across my rock order on April 10, 2014:

1964 PLYMOUTH VALIANT 3.7L 225cid L6
ATP Y804 Speedometer Cable $ 9.51

I didn't even need it (yet), but ordering a bunch of stuff and saw it sitting there, longing to be on my shelf. Only way to go with rock, onesy-twosy orders kill you with shipping.

At same time, I also got a complete 904 tranny rebuild kit w/ steels for $77. For some reason, they show it for my slant and not for my 65 273 (innards should be identical).

Found the part # in Rock Auto and looked at the picture. Theirs shows a screw on end on both ends. Not like mine. Mine has a screw on end at the speedo head. The trans end is simply a plug in - you remove a screw that holds a tab against it to retain it in the trans.

Is their picture wrong?

Yes, the picture is wrong the speedo cable I got was exactly matched my original. The only thing was it was a couple of inches longer, no big deal.

Thanks a ton! Just ordered from Rockauto. One hell of a lot cheaper than $200!! It will be nice to know how much I am speeding...

Ordered the part from Rock Auto. Got it today. Wrong one - has a screw-on fitting on both ends. Guess I'll just send it back.

Thumpower, is this the one you ordered. ATP Y804 Speedometer Cable (7312.10.0012) .
I found my order from Jan and mine is defiantly correct.

I guess its time to get you one from upstairs!! Ill message back in a few!! Geof

Got this one from a 4 speed car, I believe its the same! Cable moves freely, no kinks in the shield, just needs a little cleanup! $10 plus shipping if you're interested! Geof

Attachments

• image.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 119
Thanks a ton, guys. I gave up and ordered an expensive one from Ebay yesterday. If it turns out to be wrong, I'll sure take it! And I hope it turns out to be wrong! That's the one alright, so long as it is long enough for an automatic.

thanks again

... Is it the same cable or is it different somehow?
Inquiring minds want to know. I never tested the ATP Y804 from rockauto, just stored it. I recall it has nut fitting on both ends. I thought the speedo pickup at the tranny is a short adapter that the cable screws to, not that the cable is integral. Hard to tell in the photo of cosgig's post. Maybe a little cleaning will show a nut.

65-66 cable ends, note the thumb grip end on the trans side...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 117
-
Back