Speedometer Not working

-

darc1722

Reaction score
Is there a way to isolate the problem from the dash to the transmission? I just had my 904 trans rebuilt so I thought it would be a good time to replace the speedo cable. Installed new cable and transmission now the speedometer is not working, checked cable going into dash assembly and it looks fine. Was thinking about disconnecting cable at trans and hooking up a drill to see if I can isolate where the problem is, any ideas? Was working fine before I started, thanks!

Is there a way to isolate the problem from the dash to the transmission? I just had my 904 trans rebuilt so I thought it would be a good time to replace the speedo cable. Installed new cable and transmission now the speedometer is not working, checked cable going into dash assembly and it looks fine. Was thinking about disconnecting cable at trans and hooking up a drill to see if I can isolate where the problem is, any ideas? Was working fine before I started, thanks!

Jack a wheel up and pull the cable from the speedo head to see if it's turning will do it too.
Make sure your gear drive in the trans is set correctly also.
I may not even be turning the gear that drives the cable.

I'm a newbie at cars but, mine was doing that too. Disconect cable from back of speedo and drive it or jack up the rear off the ground. If cable spins slowly at speedo it's working. If not check the "register" of the spedometer gear in the tranny. Mine did not spin even tho it was a new cable. The gear has a number on it. Turn the mark on the outside to match the mark on tranny This should mesh up the gear to the tranny and make it spin at spedo.

Attachments

• spedo.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 525
  • spedo-Gear.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 512
Took cable out of trans and with the drill hooked up on the cable the dash speedometer was working. Looks like my gear setting is wrong on the trans, started to remove but fluid was coming out. Can I change/adjust the gear in the trans when it's full of fluid? How much fluid will come out if I remove the gear assembly?

Took cable out of trans and with the drill hooked up on the cable the dash speedometer was working. Looks like my gear setting is wrong on the trans, started to remove but fluid was coming out. Can I change/adjust the gear in the trans when it's full of fluid? How much fluid will come out if I remove the gear assembly?

I don't know how much fluid will come out. Maybe put jack stands on that side of the car and that should tilt the fluid level.

jACK CAR UP IN BACK SO FLUID GOES TOWARD TORQUE CONVERTER, yOU WILL LOOSE A GOOD CUP BUT YOU WILL BE DONE TILL THEN. IT A EASY JOB.

Checked number on gear wheel and lined up same value to mark on the trans, everything worked! Thanks

So I am having the same issue on my 63. Since the cable isn't turning at all I am assuming that it is the drive gear in the transmission. I looked at where the cable goes into the transmission and see the c-clip that holds it. How does the holder come out of the transmission? Is it threaded in? It appears so in the picture that Jeff posted.

Ok mine works but bounces i replaced the cable and casing it bounces worse any suggestions [i have been told the magnet effect wears out in the speedo] any truth to this.

I did lube it with the grease that came with the new cable assy. And it worked above 35 mph. and bounced below that now it just bounces all the time. I'll try lubin it again with the white grease after i clean out the other stuff.

"Ok mine works but bounces i replaced the cable and casing it bounces worse any suggestions [i have been told the magnet effect wears out in the speedo] any truth to this."

check the path of the cable, and try to ease any tight bends or kinks in the cable..

-
Back