speedway motors electric brake kit

-

canajien

Reaction score
Anyone have eny experience with the speedway motors electric brake kit?

I did a quick search but all it came up with was a for sale ad for a 71 demon

My car, 71 duster, has no room for a brake booster, and with the 451 and the through the inner fender headers there's not much room for anything up front.

1000001178.jpg

Any advice, ideas about where to put the booster are much appreciated.

Thanks!

You realize that any power booster just supplements leg muscles, and doesn't improve brake efficiency?
We spent decades tossing the booster, and using a smaller bore Master to improve the "effort" needed.
Just saying, - they're only 3000 lb cars.

I'm sorry, but..... why bother with power brakes? None of my collector cars, or race cars, have or need power brakes.
I live in the city, too many near misses last summer drivng it around, way too many people that just pull out in front, or change lanes and slam their brakes to make a turn. The guy I bought it from lived out in the country, and the previous owner was only drag racing it so they had no need to for em

Redoing the brakes, bleeding etc... helped a bit, but not enough, I'd rather not have to argue with Hagerty about the value etc...

You realize that any power booster just supplements leg muscles, and doesn't improve brake efficiency?
We spent decades tossing the booster, and using a smaller bore Master to improve the "effort" needed.
Just saying, - they're only 3000 lb cars.
ok, this I can look into, would it be the one used on later years. Once again though, its a tight fit, so if its any bigger than what I have now, I'll need to get the hammer out !)

Speedway is here in my city. I try not to buy anything here I don't need right now. It is handy, they have about everything and the prices are OK. I guess customer service is good. But quality on their house brand stuff is questionable, especially brake and front suspension stuff. Just my 2 cents worth.

Speedway is here in my city. I try not to buy anything here I don't need right now. It is handy, they have about everything and the prices are OK. I guess customer service is good. But quality on their house brand stuff is questionable, especially brake and front suspension stuff. Just my 2 cents worth.
ok, good to know, stuff like this is why I like to ask Q's beforehand

In my humble opinion, better to improve brake performance, than just adding power assist. Power assist won't make it stop six inches shorter.
Better pads, better shoes, bigger front discs, (they do 80% of the work), whatever.
But I do agree, new cars with great brakes and poor drivers can be dangerous.

In my humble opinion, better to improve brake performance, than just adding power assist. Power assist won't make it stop six inches shorter.
Better pads, better shoes, bigger front discs, (they do 80% of the work), whatever.
But I do agree, new cars with great brakes and poor drivers can be dangerous.
I didn't think of the bigger discs up front, everything else was new and flushed etc after a couple of weeks of "annoyance" thanks for this

on my other vehicles I just switch everything to EBC rotors/pads, but couldn't find any EBC rotors for the car just the pads, I dont trust powerstop, rotors should last more than 7000 km

Last edited:
ok, this I can look into, would it be the one used on later years. Once again though, its a tight fit, so if its any bigger than what I have now, I'll need to get the hammer out !)

The usual stock looking, direct bolt-on, small bore Master that I like to use is the Raybestos 36406 15/16 NEW .

Dr Diff offers a new style plastic master even smaller in size, same small bore, with an adaptor plate, requires some plumbing that a lotta guys like, shown in this thread.

Good luck

The usual stock looking, direct bolt-on, small bore Master that I like to use is the Raybestos 36406 15/16 NEW .

Dr Diff offers a new style plastic master even smaller in size, same small bore, with an adaptor plate, requires some plumbing that a lotta guys like, shown in this thread.
inding link.
Good luck
great, thanks a lot!!!

I have seen booster adapters that rais the booster up and to the drivers side.

Some observations.

1. As others have mentioned booster does nothing to breaking ability.
  2. Get much larger diameter front disc, with more pad surface area.
  3. Get wider front tires. If you apply the needed force to stop the car but the tires have only 50% of the appropriate surface area you will lock them up and slide (skid)

Interesting. It looks like an electric hydroboost system. I think Ford does something similar on some of the Ecoboost trucks. Let us know how it works out.

I have seen booster adapters that rais the booster up and to the drivers side.

Some observations.

1. As others have mentioned booster does nothing to breaking ability.
  2. Get much larger diameter front disc, with more pad surface area.
  3. Get wider front tires. If you apply the needed force to stop the car but the tires have only 50% of the appropriate surface area you will lock them up and slide (skid)
larger discs is something to think about, I think I may be able to fit just under 12" inside my wheel, but the tires never occurred to me

I currently have 165/70 15, and was going to switch them out for 195/60 15 to improve the handling, that's about as big as I can go right now with the headers and suspension set up to accomodate the huge oil pan on the engine, I learned that from experience

I live in the city, too many near misses last summer drivng it around, way too many people that just pull out in front, or change lanes and slam their brakes to make a turn. The guy I bought it from lived out in the country, and the previous owner was only drag racing it so they had no need to for em

Redoing the brakes, bleeding etc... helped a bit, but not enough, I'd rather not have to argue with Hagerty about the value etc...
Sorry for the derail but did Hagerty actually agree to insure that car?

It looks like you have the stock type sliding caliper setup. If you havent already done it you can replace the stock A body calipers with the later model police type, they have larger pistons and make quite a difference in stopping power. Putting some kind of power assist will do nothing to stop the car sooner. Ditching the stock prop valve for an adjustable one helps too.

Anyone have eny experience with the speedway motors electric brake kit?

[/URL]

I did a quick search but all it came up with was a for sale ad for a 71 demon

My car, 71 duster, has no room for a brake booster, and with the 451 and the through the inner fender headers there's not much room for anything up front.

View attachment 1716229489

Any advice, ideas about where to put the booster are much appreciated.

Thanks!
If you do decide to go with a booster, you could use a remote vacuum booster like I used on my A100.

Makes me feel better about stopping now.....4-wheel drums were OK for a couple of hits, then hard to stop after that until they cooled again. And before anyone says anything, they were set up properly and there was nothing else we could get out of the effectiveness.

20181123_114131.jpg

20181123_114105.jpg

20181123_114122.jpg

20190415_153734.jpg

20190415_111915.jpg

-
Back