spot welder

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Merry christmas guy and gals

Well i went and something really strange tonight.

I have a mig pak 10 welder and i did some modifications to the tip ( cut it down 1/4 ") than I cut 4 grooves into the outside shield and now I have a spot welder that will work by just pressing down on the metal.

It works on a plug, or a single hole and I can even do a factory tpye spot weld when I turn my welder up to 3 and the wire speed at 2. It cuts a small hole in the top and welds it solid.

Has anyone done this before?

Does anyone know if there is an after market kits for my welder.

Thanks guys and gals

Rick

Sounds like a short circuit. Does the wire get stuck in the tip???

No not at all.

I cut the tip 1/4 inch so its all gd.

U see some welders u can buy a spot weld tip. Standard tip with a 1/4 " extension. Not 4 mine so I made 1 lol

Rick

Interesting. Would like to see pics and more explanation.

Yeah it just burns through the top piece of sheetmetal and fills it. I am not to sure how well the weld would hold. Inconsistancy in the plug size. All my hole punchers are 5/16".
May want to do this to two pieces of scrap. Just do a quick overlap weld and put it in a vice and twist the other piece until it twists a plug out and measure it. Should be a 5/16" plug pulled out.

Just for fun here you go,
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bOt8JL4mM3A&feature=related"]Homemade spot welder remake - YouTube[/ame]

Hi

did a couple 100 spot welders today and it worked gr8. 99 % of the spota looked gr8.

If any 1 has questions please ask.

Rick

I assume you don't use the wire and the actual tip should pertrude outside of the shield enough to contact the sheetmetal.....Here ya go,

Attachments

• spotweld shields.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 142
Hi cuudak

Thats what i did to the sleeve and then cut down the contact tip.

BTW where did u get those sleeves. I would love to buy some.

Rick

Cut down the tip? Not getting it.

Hi cuudak

Thats what i did to the sleeve and then cut down the contact tip.

BTW where did u get those sleeves. I would love to buy some.

Rick

Miller used to sell them but discontinued them. They have been in my toolbox for a while now. My little 120v Mac mig won't handle the additional strain. Tends to overheat quickly! I have a Lenco spot welder that I use.

Nope these aren't for sale.:D

-
Back