Squiggly Con Rod Castings?

-

nm9stheham

Reaction score
I was taking apart some older, original 340 rod/piston assemblies, and after clean-up, did a quick visual on the rods; PN is 2899496. I had to do a double-take to see if I really saw what I initially thought I saw.

I spotted a 'squiggle' in one rod casting when looking along the side of the beam. 'So there's a bad one'...... But then, a close look at each rod showed the same thing. 4 all had one casting number and showed the same 'squiggle' pattern. The other 4 had a different casting number and showed a different but consistent 'squiggle' pattern.

I did a quick check for offset between big and small ends, and a quick measurement showed that there is a consistent offset of between .030" and .040" towards the large chamfer side of the big end. But most or all of this is from the way that the big end is ground asymetrically. Plus, the wear and varnish patterns were very symmetrical side-to-side on the pistons and pin bushings, and the rod bearing upper shells showed what I have seen to be normal wear patterns in other engines. The machine marks on the sides of all of the rod big ends are all still clean and essentially unworn, so the big ends have not been twisted against each other or the side of the journals.

So I can't tell if this 'squiggle' is real or is just a casting irregularity. Were these just erratic castings back then? I have never spotted such a thing in other rods. Is this what made 340's so quick? LOL

Here is a pix below; notice that the edge of the beam looks to turn slightly left above the big end, and then turns slightly right about an inch below the small end. A straight edge confirms this squiggle is really there.

Attachments

• DSCN1661.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 259
All that is is a parting line where the 2 halves of the forging dies came together. I seriously doubt the rods are machined incorrectly.

All that is is a parting line where the 2 halves of the forging dies came together. I seriously doubt the rods are machined incorrectly.

He's not talking about the parting line, he's talking about the beam itself. He just doesn't explain it well. I see it now that I really look closely. Rod might be bent.

To the OP, take them to a machine shop. Have them checked for straightness AND have them measure the lengths. They should be within a few thousandths in length.

Oh yeah, they aren't cast. They are forged.

Are the pin bores for the rod and piston machined square?

If they are, then it was machined properly, if not, then the rod must have bent under service...

My machine shop found a funky rod on my 340! He said that he thought is wasn't due to damage and that it was missed by the QC checkers. It spec-ed out OK, but he wouldn't recommend trusting it in the rebuild.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 180
As long as the bores are parallel and sized properly, and the center to center length is right, I wouldn't worry about it. If those specs are out, it/they was/were bent.

Tnx for the feedback, gents. Yes, the squiggle is in the edge of the casting as pictured, not just the parting line. This was consistent for each rod with the same casting numbers, so my best guess is a mold irregularity. I just have not seen this in other engine brands' rods I have used; they all looked straight. These will get checked for sure, if nothing else but to satisfy my curiousity.

68gtxman, that is one very SPECIAL rod there! LOL

-
Back