squirrel moving in to the engine bay

-

Sussmad

Reaction score
So we have a new species in the neighborhood, a small red squirrel. It is very territorial, chasing all the larger gray squirrels away and chattering all the time. Yesterday, I was checking my son's toyota's fluids and found the squirrel Hilton in there; grass, leaves, twigs and at least 30 or so butternuts from the tree stashed on any available ledge. (butternuts are maybe double the size of a golfball) We drive the car maybe 2/3 times a week. This morning I checked the engine bay again and he is rebuilding and storing already. Suggestions; no garage, I thought I read about somebody on the site using the Downy fabric softener sheets,but that was for long term storage.

Get a "Live Trap", trap it, then dump it off miles from your house.

Optionally, a high powered pellet gun and a carefully places head shot.

I wonder if he would be as interested if you left the hood open for a couple nights in a row. Meanwhile, I've heard that moth balls might help encourage animals to leave an area(though they might be a fire hazzard if left under the hood). I've also heard that people can get pretty sick from coming in contact with moth balls, so be careful using them, and don't breath in the fumes.

The open hood thing works, had problem with mice wanting to making a home in my truck engine compartment, I heard about the hood open thing and tried it it worked no more mice. They moved to a drawer in the garage(LOL)
Moe

My daughter had the same problem with a grey squirrel, load the engine compartment with moth balls. They hate the smell. Use some old socks to hold them. Red squirrels are evil little suckers, I use a pellet gun on them if I catch them in the open. They can chew through anything!!! The only downside to this is you'll smell like your Grandmothers attic..LOL

After considering your problem carefully, here's what I suggest. You will need.
1. 20 guage shotgun ( out of city limits ) 22 caliber pellet gun ( city limits)
2. sharp hatchet
3. 1/2 cup of flour
4. sharp knife
5. nylon zip ties
6. milk

Shoot all the squirrels gray and red. Throw the red one one in the trash after cutting off tail. Take the gray ones and cut off heads, feet and tails with the hatchet. Skin back the hide to expose legs and cut them off with the sharp knife. Wash them thoroughly to remove any hair that stuck to them. Take one and 1/2 teaspoons of the flour and set aside for later. Place the legs in a plastic bag with the rest of the flour and shake well . Place them in a frying pan with a small amount of cooking oil and fry over medium low heat till done ( flour coating should be brown and slighly crispy. remove legs from pan and add the teaspoon and 1/2 of flour stir quickly with fork over medium high heat and one and 1/2 cups of milk till hot and thick. Salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately with mashed potatoes or home fries. After your meal take all the squirrel tails and zip tie them to the antennae on the car in question as a Warning to the next ones!

.22 cal LR shotshells is what I use, it kills them yet doesn't travel a great distance if you're careful. You definitely want to rid yourself of them, they are destructive.

I used a paint gun on the suckersssssssss work good had a blast until my old nebiour went Rambo and the cops came lmao,RIP john.

2. sharp hatchet
3. 1/2 cup of flour
4. sharp knife
5. nylon zip ties
6. milk

Shoot all the squirrels gray and red. Throw the red one one in the trash after cutting off tail. Take the gray ones and cut off heads, feet and tails with the hatchet. Skin back the hide to expose legs and cut them off with the sharp knife. Wash them thoroughly to remove any hair that stuck to them. Take one and 1/2 teaspoons of the flour and set aside for later. Place the legs in a plastic bag with the rest of the flour and shake well . Place them in a frying pan with a small amount of cooking oil and fry over medium low heat till done ( flour coating should be brown and slighly crispy. remove legs from pan and add the teaspoon and 1/2 of flour stir quickly with fork over medium high heat and one and 1/2 cups of milk till hot and thick. Salt and pepper to taste, serve immediately with mashed potatoes or home fries. After your meal take all the squirrel tails and zip tie them to the antennae on the car in question as a Warning to the next ones!

My father-in law tried a similar suggestion (without the cooking) with pigeons. He thought he would make an example of one to get rid of the others. Shot one with a pellet gun and then hung it upside-down. Before you knew it, it was like an Irish wake they all came to pay their respects.

I used to work at a National company that put bowls of cracked corn ( on the roof) in large baking dishes full of hydochloric acid for pigeons. Pigeons come down to eat the corn get acid on their feet, pick at the burn in their feet, acid eats out their stomach, end of story! I do not condone this though! And squirrels are smarter that pigeons.

My father-in law tried a similar suggestion (without the cooking) with pigeons. He thought he would make an example of one to get rid of the others. Shot one with a pellet gun and then hung it upside-down. Before you knew it, it was like an Irish wake they all came to pay their respects.
lol :blob:

2. sharp hatchet
3. 1/2 cup of flour
4. sharp knife
5. nylon zip ties
6. milk

I like the way you think ... and eat! I have gopher problems. Every other year I shoot one and stuff it down the nearest hole. That keeps them away for about two years. Nothing like a rotting corpse in your home to make you want to move.

Before you knew it, it was like an Irish wake they all came to pay their respects.

What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral?

One less drunk... LOL...

No offense to the Irish...

That's funny I don't care who you are...

Lord forgive me and all the pigmies in new guinea...

2. sharp hatchet
3. 1/2 cup of flour
4. sharp knife
5. nylon zip ties
6. milk

From another venison lover.
Don't throw the red's away, cut them up and use them in the gravey to cover their gray brothers.
Put the red and gray over biskets and you have really good eating.

You need some neighbors with cats that they let outdoors...

:happy1:
What's the difference between an Irish wedding and an Irish funeral?

One less drunk... LOL...

No offense to the Irish...

That's funny I don't care who you are...

Lord forgive me and all the pigmies in new guinea...
That funny i tells ya what

-
Back