Srt-68 Barracuda

-
Right On! with the modeling thing. Come to think of it, my buddy Doug and I used to build models of all kinds. He would meticulously follow the directions and make a perfect model. Pissed me off how good he was. I was the one breaking up the "trees" that the parts are attached to to make custom stuff. Ladder bars, roll cages, and the like. Used a lot of glue. Funny thing--Doug restores things to the T, and I continue to do my own thing. Some things never change.

Now, back to breaking some "trees".

Maybe it was the glue......

Now it's time to figure out the harness. Jeez Loweez would you look at this.

harness hook-up time (Small).jpg

<== is GREEN with envy! I am hoping to just get my Duster back up for the show this summer right now. Great job on the Cuda so far.

j

Looks like you must have had spaghetti.....based on all that pasta layin in the engine compartment......What do you use for the fuse box? Stock from 68 or stock from 07?

You video stopped working for some reason.

Mop

The '68 remains stock as far as wiring goes--it doesn't know what hit it. No special switches, buttons, or whatever. Under the hood is all SRT-8, including the fuse/relay center. You just have to get the right wires to fool it, because obviously the '68 doesn't have a body module full of anti-theft and Nader switches. It will have neutral safety, however, and I may make it impossible to start without pressing the brake--kind of a double neutral safety. Or, say, have to hit the left turn signal in order for it to fire. I am the body module, and it will do as I say. Poor man's anti-theft, if you will. In addition, the way I set up the power distribution between the batteries in the trunk and the relay center makes it almost impossible to conventionally hot-wire.

I sure have enjoyed you creative fishing trip :-D and your knowledge and experience 5.7Dart =D&gt; It sure looks like you enjoy the time you get to spend on your cars. I seen your Dart in the Magazine Congratulations
I have got to say you sure have a great sense oh humor From putting it in the Jokes thread to turning the camera sideways and when you hooked up to that monster fish:-D
Thank you for sharing a great build with us 5.7Dart.

Could you come over for a few hours on a Saturday morning and strip my car to bare metal, refinish, paint and buff it, reinstall all the trim, redo the interior, and wire up and install a blown 6.1?

I know that designing all the brackets, modifying the intake, adding an intercooler and extra fuel lines etc. to install the blower will take an extra 30 minutes or so...but we could have a late lunch after you're done, say at 12:30 or so. I'll grille some steaks or something, we'll eat, and then go for a cruise!

Sheez! I need an energy drink just to watch this post!!!! Looking great!!!

I removed about five pounds and 2 miles of wire I won't need. Much tidier--certainly manageable. I will be covering all of this ala The Dart, so this will work. Fabbed little brackets to hold the fuse/relay center in place. Sweet.

Next order of business is the driveshaft. Stay tuned for that--it's gonna be different. I'll show and explain later.

harness tidied up 001 (Small).jpg

harness tidied up 002 (Small).jpg

Does the engine clear the hood? I thought I remember an ad for aftermarket wiring harnesses that were a plug and play.

Hood clearance is not a problem. As far as aftermarket wiring harnesses are concerned; yes, they are available, and yes they are expensive. Their performance and reliabilty aren't stellar, although some of those systems work fine. However, I wouldn't spend 2 grand on such a system. That's one of the reasons I go used donor car vs. crate motor and plug and play stuff. Everything's broken in and works--and you can't argue with factory stuff. I've personally had problems with these so-called plug and play systems. (no laptop tuning required). BS , and good luck with that.

WOW!!! 2k just afor a harness? I would do just what your doing, and use a donor car. What sensors do you get rid of, if any?

I thought I remember in your dart thread that you used the 5.7 trans. Are you using the auto trans that you had on the trailer with this 6.1?

Hood clearance is not a problem. As far as aftermarket wiring harnesses are concerned; yes, they are available, and yes they are expensive. Their performance and reliabilty aren't stellar, although some of those systems work fine. However, I wouldn't spend 2 grand on such a system. That's one of the reasons I go used donor car vs. crate motor and plug and play stuff. Everything's broken in and works--and you can't argue with factory stuff. I've personally had problems with these so-called plug and play systems. (no laptop tuning required). BS , and good luck with that.

WOW!!! 2k just afor a harness? I would do just what your doing, and use a donor car. What sensors do you get rid of, if any?

I thought I remember in your dart thread that you used the 5.7 trans. Are you using the auto trans that you had on the trailer with this 6.1?

See page three.

580 newton meter = 427.786030278 pound-force foot

Just in case anyone else was wondering. That trans wouldn't stand up to long with rwh numbers my truck trans puts up with, 47RE trans, tweaked a bit complements of Diesel Trans Technologies. =P~ Of course my truck is at least 2 X heavier than any A-Body . . .

580 newton meter = 427.786030278 pound-force foot

Just in case anyone else was wondering. That trans wouldn't stand up to long with rwh numbers my truck trans puts up with, 47RE trans, tweaked a bit complements of Diesel Trans Technologies. =P~ Of course my truck is at least 2 X heavier than any A-Body . . .

joe,, do i know you ??ever seen this dodge around ??

dodge ram stripe and bike 003.jpg

dodge ram stripe and bike 008.jpg

joe,, do i know you ??ever seen this dodge around ??

NO WAY! I didn't know that was your blown black fish!!! You've been driving right past my back yard in the summer for years with it, my house backs up to Oxford Valley, its the one with the 2 story shed in the back corner. In the summer I hear the fish whistling its sweet melody coming and about break my neck to see it :thumbup:- that is one sweet fish Bro. And the truck is awesome too.

Yeah we met at the Fall Brawl in G-Burg last year (I think) I was there with Kelly Reed and Lou from Indian Creek (works for Rob's Towing) I was talking to you about the AAR stripes on your truck (I didn't bring my truck - didn't do anything to since last time so why roll it out). I'll see you around from time to time and wave / blink the lights, usually when I'm on the way or coming home from work. Swing by some time, #19 on the drive, usually out front on the weekends playing with something.

Thank you for posting all of your pics. Your posts have been some of the most interesting posts I have read. You are truly an artisan.

Brian Hood

Whats wrong with the trunk? That's where my M.I.L. rides.....she never seems to complain and always seems relaxed after a drive.....could it be the leaking exhaust pipes?

damn it seams like next time I hit the refresh button the car will be done!

-
Back