Stabilizing headers to the engine?

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
I'm close to installing headers on my smallblock and it just does not make sense to me that they only hang from the flange bolts with no other support for them moving around.
Thinking to stabilize them to the block by adding a strut from a belhousing bolt to one of the tubes on each side.

From the collectors back the exhaust will be supported by donut style hangers.

Thoughts?

My ex has header bolts and hangars back by the mufflers before the dumps. Works OK.

I've never had any issues with just headers on anything I've worked in the past. Most older vehicles usually just wind up like airwoofer said...hangers from the mufflers and maybe tailpipes, but nothing from the headers or flanges. The only time it becomes an issue is if you're exhaust is really close to the ground and needs to be "tucked" up a little bit and that can usually be cured by properly bent pipes in the first place.

bottom line, it's not needed...

Those of us that have run RB fender exit know all about this.

The thing is, SB headers "naturally hang" pretty much where they belong, that is, there's not a bunch of twisting force on them, so I don't think it's much of an issue. But it certainly won't HURT. Probably just tying the collectors together with a simple brace would be easy, if you can keep from affecting ground clearance.

Those of us that have run RB fender exit know all about this.

The thing is, SB headers "naturally hang" pretty much where they belong, that is, there's not a bunch of twisting force on them, so I don't think it's much of an issue. But it certainly won't HURT. Probably just tying the collectors together with a simple brace would be easy, if you can keep from affecting ground clearance.

I am using Remflex header gaskets and they are soft graphite over a steel center. (guaranteed not to leak ever)
I figured if the engine moved around a little from a bump, or say a little too rich on a cold startup and it lopes, it might loosen up on the gaskets and start leaking.
The gaskets are lifetime guarantee no questions asked, but I still don't want to end up with them leaking.
I think I'm going to add a short strut from each of the two lower bellhousing bolts to the collectors and use a hose clamp to hold the header wrap and the strut both.
I'll feel a lot better about it.

Thanks

When it comes to exhaust, it's generally better to let it squirm around, with the heat gradients and whatnot.

Don't forget to recheck the bolts after a good heat cycle and on a regular basis

Remflex says no need to retighten because they don't change from the heat like other gaskets, but it's going to get chked anyway.

Remflex says no need to retighten because they don't change from the heat like other gaskets, but it's going to get chked anyway.

Interesting, let us know if they stay tight.

While on the subject, everyone grab a wrench and go double check your header/ manifold bolts.

The Remfelx gaskets are only a six month guarantee aren't they?

From the Remflex website:
We’re so confident you’ll love Remflex exhaust gaskets that we back them with a 100% no-questions-asked satisfaction guarantee! If you’re not completely satisfied with Remflex exhaust gaskets for any reason, return them within six months after purchase, along with proof of purchase and receipt, and we’ll either replace them or give you your money back!

You mentioned header wrap.....good luck with that.....had a dd a while back that the previous owner wrapped the headers....did not take them long before they rotted thru...

Interesting, let us know if they stay tight.
QUOTE]

You can count on it.
For 50 bucks a set they better do what they say they will.

The Remfelx gaskets are only a six month guarantee aren't they?

From the Remflex website:
We’re so confident you’ll love Remflex exhaust gaskets that we back them with a 100% no-questions-asked satisfaction guarantee! If you’re not completely satisfied with Remflex exhaust gaskets for any reason, return them within six months after purchase, along with proof of purchase and receipt, and we’ll either replace them or give you your money back!

Yep, 6 months.
You are right.

You mentioned header wrap.....good luck with that.....had a dd a while back that the previous owner wrapped the headers....did not take them long before they rotted thru...

I got the fiberglass wrap for the steering hose, starter and oil filter area's, so we'll see how it does.
I'll make galvanized coated heat shields if it doesn't last.

-
Back