Starter motor mesh

-

dustymopar

Reaction score
Hi y'all!

I am in the process of getting our 66 valiant running after fitting a 273 (67 I think) and 904 trans. I have fitted the starter (can't remember if it came with the motor or not) and it does not appear to mesh with the ring gear? The ring gear does not seem to be worn.

The socket inside the bellhousing that the starter nose fits into is clean, and when bolting up the starter I have pulled it away from the motor at the top. There are no other obstructions that I can see. I have tried to push the pinion toward the ring gear with a small screwdriver and does not mesh. I have also tried this with and without the metal starter shim plate.

I also tried a new mini starter that I keep as a spare without success

I thought one starter fits all in Mopar world...?

Any ideas?

TIA:thumblef:

Any gear drive starter should fit any engine it was ever built to fit and crank.

426 Hemis used to use a special starter, but some post I read indicated you could even use a gear drive on them.

You have something bent/ broken/ dirt under the mount or the wrong converter. I'm not familiar with /6 converters they might not work in a V8 904?

Thanks, the vertor is one that came with the motor, in fact I had bought the motor and trans as one and just dropped it in. Like you say, there must be another problem....

-
Back