Starter Motor Removal

-

GT340

Original Owner
Reaction score
I'm trying to remove my old gear reduction starter in my '72 Duster. It has Hooker ProComps and power steering. I'm trying to avoid lifting out the engine (or at least half ways out) to get the starter out and replace it with the 98 Dakota mini starter.

One way I'm looking at, is to disassemble the old starter (in place) and try to pull it out piece by piece. But I'm not so sure that would work either, and it may end up as a big can of worms. I'm not sure how small the pieces will be if I try it that way and if I'll be able to get it out on the very limited space that I now have.

Anyone have any expierence doing it this way or have any suggestions on removing it. I'm afraid it'll end up taking many hours and finally just having to lift the engine to get it out.

I'm not up on the ProComp headers, however if your center link and tie rod runs through your header you could raise your front end and remove the tie rod and center link. That should give you a opening to push the starter forward a bit, then roll out where the link ran though??

Thanks 69signetv8, I'll give it a try tomorrow.

I checked out your link, you have a real nice car.

I diasembled mine, it just barely fit through in pieces, installed a mopar mini, it will go in in one piece no problem

Sanguine said:
I diasembled mine, it just barely fit through in pieces, installed a mopar mini, it will go in in one piece no problem

Thanks for confirming that option.

-
Back