Starter not engaging

-

GTSDustin

Reaction score
Anybody ever have any issues with starters not engaging?? I have tried two starters, shims on both, and yes I haved tried the factory style shim behind it as well, and without. It just makes grinding noise and seems really catchy. Really stumped here. Never had any issues before with this...

Can you try with it removed and see if it is throwing the gear forward?

turn the engine by hand and see if it engages on a different part of the ring gear

what are we talkin bout here? Mopar starters dont have shims

This

20140406_195501_zpsdmy7gjmj.jpg

possibly has a bad spot on the ring gear of the flywheel, or dare I say the engine is seized. hopefully just the flywheel.

Are running the stud instead of a bolt as the flange is bigger than the one on the bottom.

If you don't have the bolt

just cut a piece of tubing and put it on the top bolt to center the starter.

I have seen where the starter didn't get close enough to engage

Are running the stud instead of a bolt as the flange is bigger than the one on the bottom.

If you don't have the bolt

just cut a piece of tubing and put it on the top bolt to center the starter.

I have seen where the starter didn't get close enough to engage
Ok, glad I'm not the only one that seen this lol. I'm using bolts on top and bottom.

Well, seems it has nothing to do with starter at all.... I noticed a rub mark on my balancer this morning. So I felt up under the water pump and it is right on the damn balancer.
I may be in the wrong tnread now, but can a "early" style cast water pump be used on a 71 340? I wanted to reuse that off my 318 because I noticed the later alum pumps have the pass side outlet, and I had already bought a brNd new alum radiator with driver outlet. Keep in mind this is my first sb mopar build, do thanks for any help...damn car.

-
Back