Starter problem after having Transmission Rebuild done

-

guzzimike

Reaction score
Ok, so I got my car back from the tranny shop (the TF 727 trans was pulled off, rebuilt and re-installed), and I have a problem that did not exist (Ever) before the work was done.

When I turn the key, I have a 10 - 20 % chance that it starts up without issue.

The other 80 - 90 % is a chance that the Starter Motor solenoid sounds off (Clicks audibly), and the engine physically tilts over about 1/4 Inch as if the Starter is trying to spin the flywheel, but the Engine does not start.

It acts as if the engine was frozen. No spin, no cranking over, no nothing except what I described.

If I do this repeatedly, maybe by the 7th or 8th time the engine will crank over normally and run fine. I've tried to start with the shifter in PARK and also in NEUTRAL. Same difference...

Battery is Good, Grounds and Positive are good. I connected a Fluke VOM Meter, and at rest, the battery shows 13.2 VDC. When I Crank the starter, it goes to 12.5 VDC, so that is all good..

My question is this...Is there anything that the Tranny shop may have done that could have disconnected or Misaligned something to cause the issue..?

I guess that this malfuctinon Could be a coincidence and that my starter motor could be on its way out...but it's a helluva concidence if true.

One thing that comes to mind is they may have let the starter hang by the cables. seen it happen a number of times. Remove the connections and make sure the lugs at the starter are tight.

and the engine physically tilts over about 1/4 Inch as if the Starter is trying to spin the flywheel, but the Engine does not start.

I would sure like to see this movement of 1/4"!

Who did the R&R of the transmission? Racking my brain here how this could happen and all I can think of by what you are describing is: the engine and transmission are not tightly bolted together. The starter is actually bolted to the transmission case and then engages the engine thru the torque converter bolted to the engine flexplate. I still can't see it though because of the dowel pins locating the engine block to the transmission case so I'm still skeptical here. You might just check how tight the bellhousing to block bolts are.

Are there any abnormal noises when you do get it to run? My thoughts are possibly a clearance issue inside the transmission, like front pump and converter are binding? Does the transmission operate properly? Just a thought.

I would sure like to see this movement of 1/4"!

Who did the R&R of the transmission? Racking my brain here how this could happen and all I can think of by what you are describing is: the engine and transmission are not tightly bolted together. The starter is actually bolted to the transmission case and then engages the engine thru the torque converter bolted to the engine flexplate. I still can't see it though because of the dowel pins locating the engine block to the transmission case so I'm still skeptical here. You might just check how tight the bellhousing to block bolts are.

My thoughts exactly. That's a really strange one and my only guess is to start by making sure the engine and trans. are bolted tightly.

Yup, I'm taking it back to the Transmission shop to have them go over it.

Yesterday my 66 Dart started doing the same thing with the click..click.My battery is fully charged also.When turning the key numerous times,clicking then all of a sudden it was like the piston was 1/2 way on a down stroke(turning the engine 1/4 turn) phhhff,then the starter worked.I,m also confused to this problem as the starter has worked flawlessly all summer.Could it be due to compression or is the solenoid on it,s way out.

Funny that I just saw this thread. My starter is also starting to click also. The starter is a Dakota style mini starter, brand new 1 yr ago. Was working fine up until I had my transmission changed out about 1 1/2 months ago. I notice that the starter seems to be under a load and the battery cranks it over very slowly. Battery is only 2 months old and starter relay is less than a year old. I do not know what else to do? Trans was swapped from stock 904 to TCI Street fighter 904 and convertor was swapped from stock to TCI 2400 stall, if that helps.

Check those battery and solenoid connections, or anywhere high amp's are pulled
I drove across town to help a friend and all it was a battery connection, it's getting colder at night and this is the time of year to double check
Yes it has happened to me before click click click and raised the hood on my truck and it would not even jump off until I put the jumper cable on the battery post, removes it and cleaned. problem solved.

Yesterday my 66 Dart started doing the same thing with the click..click.My battery is fully charged also.When turning the key numerous times,clicking then all of a sudden it was like the piston was 1/2 way on a down stroke(turning the engine 1/4 turn) phhhff,then the starter worked.I,m also confused to this problem as the starter has worked flawlessly all summer.Could it be due to compression or is the solenoid on it,s way out.

Funny that I just saw this thread. My starter is also starting to click also. The starter is a Dakota style mini starter, brand new 1 yr ago. Was working fine up until I had my transmission changed out about 1 1/2 months ago. I notice that the starter seems to be under a load and the battery cranks it over very slowly. Battery is only 2 months old and starter relay is less than a year old. I do not know what else to do? Trans was swapped from stock 904 to TCI Street fighter 904 and convertor was swapped from stock to TCI 2400 stall, if that helps.

Could be a solenoid on the way out or what MeMike said about a connection. Just the other day mine started cranking slow and I checked cables first. The pos. cable was just the least little bit loose. Tightened it and works like a champ again.

my starter did the same thing after i got my verter back. changes starters smae thing. The verter shop had put a heavy coat of paint on the teeth and my starter was getting bowned up in the paint. It may be a long shot but i would check that.

Went to Kragen's ( now O'Reilly's), got a new $65.00 starter ( 93 Dakota ), installed it, Vroooom- Vroom..! 8)

Went to Kragen's ( now O'Reilly's), got a new $65.00 starter ( 93 Dakota ), installed it, Vroooom- Vroom..! 8)

Great news! I'm so happy to finally be able to go to pep boys and pick up a mini starter for 60 bucks! Just got myself one about 2 weeks ago. Glad it wasn't anything serious.

-
Back