Starter problems

-

Dusterb318

Reaction score
I put a mini starter in my car this spring. It came out of a '95 Dodge Ram. Anyway I got my motor fired up for the first time this year...got the timing set and all that good stuff now the the starter just spins.....won't engage the TC ring gear......I replaced the plunger and contacts when I got but it now it just spins.....do i need a new starter? Rebuild?

try the starter on the floor to see if the gear reduction unit is extending first. If not try a little oil on it (the get dry and stick) if this doesn't help have a ne drive installed

well I checked and it is like $50 for parts or around $70 - $120 to have mine rebuilt. I found another shop here that sells rebuilds for $76 so i just bought a rebuilt one. I'll keep mine and maybe rebuild it myself for a spare. The guy at the shop said the drive was shot but the sounds of it.......

Well I pulled the starter and used a jumper wire......well the drive gear kicks out and pins but that was with now resistance......if the drive gear was bad would it still do that? Is it stripped or something inside and with no restistance does that allow it to spin? My teeth are fine on the converter and there wasn't any grinding or "foul" sounds when the starter was spinning?

-
Back