Starter Relay with Push Button Starter

-

dragduster

Reaction score
I have a 1970 drag Duster with a 340. I was going to use the stock starter relay and the stock neutral safety switch. My questions is about the starter relay, the neutral safety switch, and a push button starter switch.

On most diagrams for the starter relay there is a pin for the battery (B), one for the solenoid (S), Pin G (Flat), and Pin I (Angled). Pin 'G' goes to the center pin on the neutral safety switch (Automatic Tranny's). Pin 'B' obviously goes to the battery. Pin 'S' obviously goes to the solenoid. On stock diagrams Pin 'I' goes to the ignition.

Pin 'I' is my problem. I have the momentary push button starter switch instead of the stock ignition wiring, and I assume I would hook Pin 'I' to one pole of the switch. Do I hook the other pole on the push button starter to GROUND (Swtich to Ground setup), or does it hook up to a fused +12V (Switch to Power setup)?

I assume it is the Switch to Power setup because the neutral safety / reverse lamp switch is probably going to be switching to ground to complete the circuit.

I have already consulted every diagram on the web, and they all show stock wiring leaving me in a dead end.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
Brian

When I wired my race car I put the start button on the "I" with a 12v source. What I did with the "G" is I ran that to a micro switch on my shifter then a wire from the shifter micro switch to ground. This way the car will only start in park in the case of my shifter. The solenoid is 12v switched but only if the micro switch on the shifter is closed (park or neutral).

Chuck

-
Back