Starter shims?

-

frederick_76

Reaction score
Anyone that is running a Lakewood Scatter shield and a mini starter have to use starter shims? Thanks in advance, Dennis.

I'll tell you a little story about Lakewood "quality." In the early 70's I was "into" 4 wheeling. Two then friends of mine, one had a factory V6 CJ, the other a then new (75?) CJ he had swapped in a SB Chev.

Both were going to convert to Ford top loaders, adapted to Jeep transfer cases

The V6 installation, the bolt pattern on the bell was ROTATED so that the transfer case hung down further than it should!!!

The V8 swap, the alignment was so bad between block and bell, the owner had to have custom dowels machined to get the thing aligned.

BOTH these guys are very VERY knowledgable, and at the time ran a very good independent body shop.

Yep, been fighting it for awhile now. Intermittent engagement problems, hot. Also, just pulled trans (18 spl) because input shaft bearing toast. Suspect alignment problem, didn't check when assembled many years ago. Infrequently driven street/strip car.

My set up: small block 408 69 A Body. The issue: squealing noise on higher RPM ( in gear and neutral ), about 1/4 inch of starter gear worn down. Doesn't make the noise at idle...
I pulled the trans, clutch, and flywheel to take a look, didn't find anything wrong. Put it all back together, still making noise. So I'm thinking shims...

Yep... had it all installed in the Dart (low-deck 451, Lakewood dialed-in for offset, B-body Hedman headers, mini-starter). While turning the engine over from the crank bolt to set valve clearances, during part of the revolution I could hear a strange noise that I eventually figured out was the starter gear being turned by the flywheel.
Although 1/5 the price of TTI's, the Hedmans make starter access so difficult, I eventually ended up removing the header to pull the starter. Then I had plenty of room to make a sheet-steel shim, and use my BFH to add a hair more clearance to the rear of the starter. No more tooth contact. Wish I'd discovered that BEFORE it all went together!

-
Back