starting my 340 after storage

-

beerboy

Reaction score
I know its early, but when I start my 340 duster in march, should I pull the plugs , leave them out a few days and put oil in the cylinders? should I turn it over with the plugs in or out? or should I not worry about any of it - just go ahead and start it after an oil change? any thing else I should be doing before starting? battery is is on a tender out of car in warm house. car is stored in an unheated garage properly. full tank with stabil , dryer sheets , decon etc. thanks again for any info

Just start normal, I wouldn't leave plugs out always a chancy something can fall or crawl in!

What EL5 said. You should be good to go. Good job on the storage tech.

any thing else I should do before starting up?

Prime the fuel system/fill the carb. I wouldn't worry too much though, my 73 340 Duster sat for 17 years. I slapped a battery in it, flushed the fuel lines, smacked the carb with a hammer and she fired right up. My 83 Scamp GT sat for 8 years, same procedure and it fired right up.

I never bother to do anything special when storing a vehicle or starting it up after storage. Some of my vehicles will sit for 6 months or more (until spring arrives) I put the battery in whatever vehicle I'm driving and swap it out when I switch vehicles.

my duster 340 sat for 10 years last year I done a start up I pulled the dist and the valve covers and primed the oil pump and turned the engine by hand while priming until I had good flow to the top of the engine it has a fairly large solid flat tapped cam just to be sure.

well i disagree to an extent. it wouldnt hurt to pull the plugs and spray a little lubricating fluid in the cylinders. put the plugs back in, take the coil wire off completely and turn it over for 3 to 4 seconds , do this 3 times to prime the fuel system. replace the coil wire then let her rip. i do the same for a rebuilt engine. turning it over before actually trying to start it also builds up oil pressure. again thats just what i would do. or ya can go out once or twice a week and start it, let it run a while. up to you how long. this will keep everything fresh

Just start it up. If you really want to go above and beyond let it crank for 10 seconds or so before priming the carb so it builds a little oil pressure.

If you let you daily driver sit outside for a few months and didn't run it all all would you do anything special to start it? No, you turn the key. ;)

I've got one that has laid here in the yard for I forget how many years, at least 15. Sometimes 2 years between starts. The only fuel line is a 4 foot hose attached to the pump.
I'll throw a battery and a gas can at it, remove the coil wire and turn it over.
Eventually the 2brl carb bowl will overflow because the float is stuck.
I tap on the bowl with a screw driver handle and try again. Now that float is working, coil wire attached and fire it up. After 20 to 30 minutes of running, everything seems fine, I pull the fuel line and let it run out of gas. Walk away till next time I take notion to fire it up. I have changed its oil and replaced about 50% of its antifreeze 2 or 3 times over the years.
If this was a newer engine that I had a lot of money invested in it would be started monthly and taken better care of. I drive my 67 at least once per month. I cant testify that better care is absolutely necessary though. This 68 engine apparently doesn't require any loving care. LOL
Our 73 didn't either. I would let that Valiant lay in the yard untouched for 2 years or more then put a tag and insurance on it and drive it a year or 2. That car was finally laid to rest at 306K miles.
BTW, last spring, when I pulled that coil wire on the 68 I found oil leaking from the coil. Replaced coil and wire, then proceeded to fire it up.

disagree isn't that what happens with good advice on this site . there is always someone who knows better.

-
Back