Starting problem

-

stansblue72

one of one 1953 ME!
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Thought I would see if anyone might have an idea of what's going on with my 318. It will fire right up and run like a champ, I let it warm up to temp and shut it off.
If I try to start it right back up it starts fine. If I wait about 10 to 15 minuets it won't start. Acts like it is flooded out or vapor locked. I do have a spacer under the carb. It will actually kick back like the timing is off and spew fuel back out the carb.
We took the carb off and went through it because it has been 4 years since it was used and couldn't find anything wrong. I've tried 3 different pressure regulators on it also with the same results. I had them set at 2 to 3 lbs.

This set up worked fine when I had it in my old dart, only difference is I now have a mechanical advance dizzy in it. Timing is set at 18 and tops out at 32 at 2500rpm's.

Electric fuel pump, checked flow through filter and pressure regulator and all seems fine.

Carberator is a Edelbrock 600.

Still thinking maybe I need to go buy a Holley!

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    88.1 KB · Views: 164
while the eddy's are known to boil the fuel in the bowl, since it kicking back you need to reset your timing. also it may be a combination of both

I think you answered your own question. If the only difference is the distributor that could very well be it. If it were me I would back the timing off about six degrees and see what happens.

I can't see you having fuel / vapor lock problems in late November in NW Washington!!!

But there is some possibility that residual fuel pressure is forcing fuel past the needles/ seats on shutdown.

FIRST is check spark critically for quality with trouble. Get ready with a spark gap and a means to check the spark, IE maybe rig it so you can see through the hood gap while operating the key

SECOND I'd rig a toggle in the fuel pump circuit, and try shutting the pump off 10 seconds or more before shutting off the engine. Let it sit, and see if it restarts ok.

Sounds like you are flooding the motor, next time it does not start check to see where the choke is open / closed.

Mine used to act similiar I put trailbeast hei conversion on the dizzy and it now starts like a fuel injected engine, timing 20 with 36 total. Best hundred dollar I ever spent.

Try changing the coil 1st...sounds more electical than fuel/timing..would chk timing and adjust the carb for gp...but if it starts up and runs good til warmed up and shuts off, and when you let it cool down then it goes again,then i would suspect spark problem and could very well be a combination of things,if dist has 100k+ miles on it then ditch it and get a replacement,had this same scenerio occur on 3 diff trks/ram/chgrs...after replacing everything related to fuel including new fuel lines from front to back and a new edelbrock carb and intake,fuel pump/filter even adding an electic inline as backup still had same prob....coil fixed it on 1 and coil and dist cured the others...coils get hot and if they are cracked it opens the crack and all firing stops and same with a dist with a faulty pick-up coil plus the fact that they are prob worn out...a skip white perf hei dist and coil are worth their weight in gold for all the troubles that you can avoid plus the fact that your brainbox or engine controller can act krazy like this and the hei dist eliminates that pos also along with ballast resistor...they are cheap and totally eliminates these kind of agravations and they are cheap less than 55 bucs to your door [dist] just look up skip white perf distributors and you will find them on the net...I will never run a fact dist or brainbox/bal res on anything i plan to keep again...just my 2cents...and the facts...

-
Back