starting

-

1966gtdartman

Reaction score
hey question: Im trying to start my car here is what I have every thing hooked up but when I turn the key it dosent crank, now I have turned the key to ignition and jumped the two screws at the ignition relay that right off the battery and it fires up. now dose that mean the relay is bad or something else like the ignition switch. also what about a nutral safty switch?? was gonna replace the relay but figured Id check first

All the NSS does is grounds that terminal when the tranny is in P or N. You can do that yourself with alligator clips, but first insure you really are in P or N, or the car may jump forward and maybe pin you to the wall (die slow if nobody hears your screams). Whenever a car won't turn over from the key, and your dome light doesn't get dim, first thing is try putting it in N, then try the lever around P and N to get the tranny really in neutral.

X2. If you are jumpering the relay at the two large exposed terminals, you are eliminating both the relay and the NSS, so the problem could be

Ignition switch/ wiring through bulkhead to the relay

Relay itself

NSS bad

Shifter out of adjustment

1---Hold key to start and wiggle / move shifter from park through neutral, listen for click of starter.

2---Identify wire at relay, is one of the two "push on" terminals, which goes down firewall, over top of trans, to NSS. Disconnect that terminal and ground that relay terminal with a clip lead. If the car cranks, bad NSS, out of adjustment, or wiring down to switch.

Thanks guys for the help, it was the nss. the wire had a lose splice in it and I must of pulled it apart while cleaning up the mess of wires. Thanks again

-
Back