Starts with 5 pin ignition Box but not 4 pin

-

zerko

Reaction score
Car would not start.
Found Ignition box had a bad ground. After regrounding the box it started.
Then wouldn't restart again, replaced the Chrysler Orange Ignition Box with a stock 5 pin Ignition Box car started right up.

Purchase new 4 pin after market Ignition box car doesn't start with 4 pin Ignition box.
Put 5 pin ignition box back in and starts right up
Any ideas

Last edited:
Yeh I have a great idea and I am completely serious. Kindly ask your question with properly worded and punctuated sentences. I have no idea, really, what you are trying to say

I will say this:

5 pin boxes are nearly non existent, even boxes that have 5 pins are often "electrically" 4 pin boxes

5 pin boxes MUST have a 4 pin ballast resistor. 4 pin boxes can operate with either a 2 or 4 pin ballast resistor

They (all boxes) MUST be grounded to operate

Yeh I have a great idea and I am completely serious. Kindly ask your question with properly worded and punctuated sentences. I have no idea, really, what you are trying to say

I will say this:

5 pin boxes are nearly non existent, even boxes that have 5 pins are often "electrically" 4 pin boxes

5 pin boxes MUST have a 4 pin ballast resistor. 4 pin boxes can operate with either a 2 or 4 pin ballast resistor

They (all boxes) MUST be grounded to operate
OK let me put it this way.
Originally was a point's car, converted over 25 years ago never had a problem.
Car cranks over as it should and starts with a 5 pin box.
I have disconnected the 5th pin from the box and the car still starts and runs.

The 4 pin box does not start and cranks over at half the speed.

No idea. Are you sure that is have you pulled the 4 pin loose to make sure it is the cause? Only thing I can think of is somehow the distributor trigger became reversed and is affecting the timing, AKA "kicking on the starter". IN theory there is no possible way this could happen

Car would not start.
Found Ignition box had a bad ground. After regrounding the box it started.
Then wouldn't restart again, replaced the Chrysler Orange Ignition Box with a stock 5 pin Ignition Box car started right up.

Purchase new 4 pin after market Ignition box car doesn't start with 4 pin Ignition box.
Put 5 pin ignition box back in and starts right up
Any ideas
New doesn't mean squat these days. This weekend I bought two ECUs from two different Advance Auto stores and neither one of them worked. Check your spark with the boxes to be sure. Hook up a timing light, and if it doesn't flash, there's no spark.

There are so many "fake" boxes out there it is rediculous. Most say Replaces or in the mopar ones "authorised"

-
Back