Stays in second during acceleration

-

Flatlander

Reaction score
I have the 4v on (eddy 600cfm) and working fine. I modified the existing kickdown for it (is that OK?). It shifts fine and drops down into 2nd when I mash the pedal but won't go into third until I let up on the gas. Then when I accelerate while at highway speed, 50 and up, it drops back to 2nd and I'm not mashing the pedal.

It's a 904 tranny. What gives?

thanks.

One of my 727s had a similar problem. It wouldn't upshift unless you let up. It's probably on the way out.

My Duster is doing the exact same thing. I have a friend coming over in the morning who really knows what he is doing. We are going to adjust the bands and the kickdown linkage and see if we can fix it.

I will let you know what we found out.

Sounds to me like your modification to your kickdown linkage has caused a mis-adjustment. The farther it holds the linkage back the faster you have to go before it will shift.

busted knuckles said:
Did it do this originally before you modified the kickdown?

No, it worked fine. I'll have to start tinkering with it and see what I end up with.

twist the upper rod with the slotted hole in about 2 full turns and see what happens. it sounds like your on the cusp of max throttle pressure and kickdown, just like fishy said.

We adjusted the bands and the problem is solved. We didn't have to mess with the linkage at all.

Thankyou fishy and red. Turned in the rod and took it for a test drive last night and shifts great. :salute:

-
Back