Steak Lovers - Did ya' ever try 'Reverse Sear'?

-

ocdart

Inland Mopars Car Club
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
As like most steak lovers, I believe the absolute best way to cook a prime piece of beef is over hardwood charcoal on an outside grill. But sometimes the weather doesn't cooperate or there just isn't enough time (and sometimes I just don't want to go through the hassle).
I first read about the 'reverse sear' method of cooking a steak a couple of years ago and, after doing a few, it turned me into a believer.
My wife brought home a couple of really nice rib eyes yesterday and I fixed 'em last night. Seasoned them up with just some garlic salt and some "Bonfire" smoked salt I found about a year ago (GREAT stuff!}. These were only about 3/4"-thick so I let 'em sit and come to room temp and then into the oven on a wire rack at 250F for about 30-35 minutes (for medium rare) to roast. Just before taking them out of the oven, put about a tablespoon of olive oil in a cast iron skillet and get it as hot as you can over the biggest burner on your stove. When the oil starts smoking, put the steaks in the hot skillet and let 'em sear for a minute or two with a pat of real butter, then flip 'em over and sear the other side just as well.
The ones I fixed last night were as good as any steak I've ever had in a high-dollar restaurant, juicy all the way through.
If you haven't already tried this method, give it a shot. You may get a surprise.

Here's a basic link to the method:

Last edited:
Yep, that slow cook at low temp followed by a fast sear is a great way to cook a steak. We have been doing ours like that for the past few years after a friend turned us on to the method.

Yep, that slow cook at low temp followed by a fast sear is a great way to cook a steak. We have been doing ours like that for the past few years after a friend turned us on to the method.
Its that time of year here," anniversary", we always go get a professional toenail job (whatever its called), go eat a steak dinner at Charletons restaurant , then to a movie. The Charlestons we go to has the best meat and cooked the way I like it,of any I`ve ever ate. W/ exception of my own !! SIDE NOTE" The last time I charcoaled steaks, a bald eagle came swooping down the street out of the south, and picked up a squirrel that had got hit by a car, was kinda neat seeing a wild one right in front of my driveway !

Only way to cook a thick steak! Works great with prime rib as well. We do ours on a green egg and put butter on it tented in foil while the charcoal gets up to 600+ degrees. Can also be done in the oven and finished off in a cast iron skillet. Internal temperature around 100 - 115 with a 1 - 2 minute sear with give you medium rare edge to edge. Andrew

-
Back